Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We dived lovers #3 and #1 on Sat (yesterday).

Lover's #3 was extremely surgy with around 15-20ft of visibility. There were occasional sets of medium-sized breakers very close to shore (leading to an easy crawl out), but otherwise the surface was very flat -- I was quite surprised by the magnitude of the surge.

Lover's #1 was a much better dive. Significantly reduced surge (but still some, despite a very flat surface) and 25ft visibility. I also saw my first Cabezon which made me quite happy (yep, I'm new to this!).

Sorry I'm new but, what do the #'s represent for Lovers? Are there markers on rocks there or something?

Sorry I'm new but, what do the #'s represent for Lovers? Are there markers on rocks there or something?

There are three beaches at Lovers Point. Lovers 1 is closest to the main parking lot.

There are three beaches at Lovers Point. Lovers 1 is closest to the main parking lot.

...and Lover's #3 is to the left of the point. Basically they're labelled 1-3, right-left, with one and two on the right side of the point, and 3 on the left (facing the water).

Monastery Beach (North) January 19/2013

Wow, what a fantastic day of diving. Monastery Beach was flat as a lake. Walked in and and walked out. Was informed that the Breakwater was more turbulent than "Lake Monastery."

A gentle surge was present in the shallows but at depth, it was perfectly still. Visibility averaged 20-40 feet. Perhaps, it's the time of the year but there were schools and schools of fish. Ran across half a dozen ling cods, the size that would have delighted any spearo. If the conditions remain the same for tomorrow, then go diving. You just don't walk in and walk out of Monastery Beach with "ankle slappers" every day.

Well yup. Jan 19th.
Breakwater had a small bit of surge 20ft and above. Waves at low tide in the morning and afternoon were thigh lappers. Nothing I would consider troublesome for even most basic students.

Vis was 10ft assuming there were not fins stirring up the bottom. Temps were 52F but felt really cold. Couple jelly corpses floating here and there or being devoured by batstars.
It was a good sunny day of diving.

Class will be diving Monastery tomorrow (sunday). Hopefully it's still lake like.

Dove North Monastery on the 17th and it was very calm. 30-40 ft vis. The 18th they were doing some work to the sand parking area on North Monastery so I dove South Monastery. 30+ vis. A little surgey at depth but the surface was a lake. Had to dive two days in a row due to insanely good conditions. This photo was taken on the 18th.

Flickr: davebaessler's Photostream

Monastery on Sun Jan 20th.
130120_001.jpg

Temp: 53F
Vis: 40+ feet

Highlights of the class: Tons of juvy and adult senoritas, juvy and adult tubesnouts, lingcods, cabezons, black rockfish, mysid swarms, and one leopard shark.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom