Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure if I want to plan my OW checkout dives for 2/25 and 2/26, but I might if the surge isn't too bad at Breakwater. Anyone with a crystal ball have a hunch? :)
Next weekend looks MUCH nicer - North California Surf Report (STORMSURF) (click on the link "Sea", left-most tab just above the image and it shows an animation that goes out a week) and Buoy Forecast 46042 (STORMSURF) (same data in tabular format)
Of course, the forecast isn't as reliable this far out compared to 2-3 days before. I am definitely going diving that weekend.

Yes, it looks like I'm penciled in for that weekend. Norcal gets some heavy rain on Monday but that's not going to have any influence is it. :)

So I was looking at conditions this weekend looking really good, and the bright sun just says "Go Dive" to me.

And then I read that all the beaches are closed b/c the storms have made the coast into one giant petri dish.

CURSE YOU MOTHER NATURE!!

Yes, we are going to try to cert. on the weekend of March 4 and 5. I'm canceled out for this weekend due to Monterey shutting down the beach. They have resumed pumping sewage after an electrical outage stopped the regular sewage pump/s.

And of course that allowed effluent/sewage to flow onto the beach. Hope it clears quickly. I was looking forward to the OW cert. this weekend.

If anyone has a link to check for beach closure or opening due to the sewage spill that would be great.

Last edited:
I'm booked this weekend on the Beachhopper and they say they are still going out, that it's not an issue beyond the beaches. Anyone know if that's normal/a good idea?

Stillwater Cove is also affected by the warning. I just got off the phone with the clubhouse and they reported that a sign warning of contamination is now posted on the beach.

Lobos might be okay, but it's probably a good bet that sites all the way down to Monastery are probably pretty turbid from the runnoff of the Carmel River and other creeks that drain into the ocean.

I called the Monterey Health Dept - all beaches, including Pt Lobos, are closed. The next water test will be on Tuesday at the earliest (72hr after the forecast storm)

Interesting. I was diving at Pt. Lobos today and was told that Carmel beaches were closed, but they let us and at least 2 other teams dive.

First dive was to HITW, Lone Metridium, and then a little beyond that. Once out of the cove and below 35' it opened up to a pleasant 20-25'.

Second dive was the end of Middle Reef. Viz was 10-15' with lower closer to the cove. In both cases we surfaced outside the cove (due to the viz) and swam in from there.

I am planning on diving there again tomorrow. I suspect the runoff through the inhabited areas are the worst, so I'm not too worried for my safety.

Back
Top Bottom