Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Monastery had about 20ft vis this morning. Temp was 50deg. at 70fsw. Flat calm, cool and foggy. No one around but myself and a state park employee. Almost forgot it was tourist season for a minute. Saw some big lings, lots of rockfish, and a HUGE sheep crab chowing down on something… I love the backyard:)

I was going to hit Monastery but it took me 2.5 hours to get from San Jose to Breakwater. 10ft +/- vis along wall. Slightly better near kelp. Tons of Nettles which is why I came. Hopefully got some good shots. 52 degree water and calm.
I love your backyard too Rob.

Yo uspap... Any good Sea Nettle shots? Would love to see them.
Our back yard is a wonderful place and look forward to seeing your images:)

Hey Rob. I'm working through the shots to see what I like. I'll post them when finished. I'm going to try and spend a few more hours underwater with them and experiment with a new way of lighting them.

Fun dive to Point Lobos Middle Reef with Stilldivin this morning.

Bottom Time: 45 minutes
Max Depth: 46 ft
Visibility: 10-15 at surface, 20-25 at depth
Water Temperature: 50F to 58F
Surface conditions: Overcast, glassy surface with a small swell rolling in, tide about half up the ramp. LOTs of kelp.

From the bluff there appeared to be one, meandering, path through the kelp this morning. Once in the water we could follow it, but had to shove aside lots of kelp to get from one clear path to the next. We kicked out 'til we were about even with the north side of Coal Chute Cove and dropped onto Middle Reef. We tooled along for a few minutes trying to find fish to film and came to the "other Hole in the Wall". I finally swam around to the other side and got a clip of Stilldivin peeking back at me through the hole. We continued along the wall, at a leisurely pace, turning around at 17 minutes...a little shy of half air so's we'd have a reserve if we surfaced in the middle of some kelp.

We followed the reef back, cruising along the edge of the sand channel, and following a generally south bearing as we got into the worm patch. Stilldivin eventually popped up for a look-see and led us along from there 'til we surfaced more-or-less at the boat ramp. I had a nice slip & fall on the ramp itself, but was still in about 20+ inches of water, so suffered nothing worse than a little embarrassment and a shot of adrenaline.

Breakwater yesterday afternoon had 5-7ft vis and green. Still a fun dive. 56 degrees.

Took the kayak to Butterfly House this morning. Overcast in the early AM, though cleared and warmed up nicley. Surface was glass, water temp was mid 50s to 65fsw. Vis was a green 25ft +/-. Some surge shallow, but not bad. I actually saw a few big red abalone. I thought I was seeing things, but sure enough, they were very much alive. Bull and giant kelp in abundace, though did see areas of high urchin population. Saw some big sea stars, and I'm hoping they help control the urchin proliferation. Saw some schools of different rockfish, some big cabazone and some smaller lingcod. Good day of diving:)

Butterfly House with Sanctuary charters this morning. Below 45-50 feet we had 20-25 foot visibility and minimal surge. Above that there was some surge (long period between sets so very manageable) and 10-15 feet visibility.

Breakwater Cove for OW cert yesterday had 8' vis (when they didn't stir up the sand); 55-57F. A little green. At 35-40' area nearer the channel, large swarms of 3" jellies and some mild stings for those not wearing gloves. Water clear of them closer to beach.
An average Breakwater training day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom