Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

May 15 - Hidden Beach (Aeneas Beach).

Not as many divers as Breakwater. Got there early so stopped to watch classes set up then drove towards Cannery Row to get super close parking.
Took photo at 0600.
aeneas hidden.jpg

Viz about 10' once away from the shore. Shallow dive so stayed out for a couple of hours.
Temp 50F.
Saw a few fish on the rocks and some big crab acting like rocks.
Spotted a few purple urchin along the pipe cluster.
Pleasant dive.

Apparently a boat crashed into the rocks at Breakwater between marker 3 & 4 yesterday.
There's video on facebook. Maybe someone will share it here.
Doesn't look like any divers hurt but the captain had to be removed by the coast guard/PD. ETOH.

May 15 - Hidden Beach (Aeneas Beach).

Not as many divers as Breakwater. Got there early so stopped to watch classes set up then drove towards Cannery Row to get super close parking.
Took photo at 0600. View attachment 659559
Viz about 10' once away from the shore. Shallow dive so stayed out for a couple of hours.
Temp 50F.
Saw a few fish on the rocks and some big crab acting like rocks.
Spotted a few purple urchin along the pipe cluster.
Pleasant dive.

Apparently a boat crashed into the rocks at Breakwater between marker 3 & 4 yesterday.
There's video on facebook. Maybe someone will share it here.
Doesn't look like any divers hurt but the captain had to be removed by the coast guard/PD. ETOH.
Here's a link, hat tip to Monterey Bay Sea Otters. Just goes to show that you should always listen for nearby props and keep an eye out while surfacing, even if no boat has any business being that close. Thanks for the report. Does ETOH mean ethanol?

Here's a link, hat tip to Monterey Bay Sea Otters. Just goes to show that you should always listen for nearby props and keep an eye out while surfacing, even if no boat has any business being that close. Thanks for the report. Does ETOH mean ethanol?

ETOH - alcohol. Yup! captain was a drunken shrimp.

It’s really a good thing that the conditions were so crappy, that very spot is often loaded with student divers.

It’s really a good thing that the conditions were so crappy, that very spot is often loaded with student divers.

There were instructors that day setting up in the morning. I got there so early and was excited to see my fave spot open. i sat there for a few minutes before heading over to Aeneas Beach just down the street. (Where I also got amazing parking! Hurray for the good parking god karma!)
After my dive there I drove back over and there were plenty of dive groups on the grass.

It definitely could have been worse ! I don't believe any mammals were hurt in the incident - except for the drunken captains pride, police record, and perhaps ability to drive in the future...

> What is that thing worth, at least a million, right?

Ehh, as a boat 100~150k its the California fishing / crabbing permits that really drive the cost. I have been looking for a retired commercial boat and its common to find a boat worth 20~30k has a listing price of +75k with the stipulation that the buyer has to pay for the disposal of the old boat.

> What is that thing worth, at least a million, right?

Ehh, as a boat 100~150k its the California fishing / crabbing permits that really drive the cost. I have been looking for a retired commercial boat and its common to find a boat worth 20~30k has a listing price of +75k with the stipulation that the buyer has to pay for the disposal of the old boat.
Interesting, I have seen prices for dive boats that look about the same size that are way, way more. I guess that's just the "yacht" tax. I'm pretty ignorant, though.

Interesting, I have seen prices for dive boats that look about the same size that are way, way more. I guess that's just the "yacht" tax. I'm pretty ignorant, though.

ya, the market is kind of nutty. Basically it's comparing apple to oranges. looking at my price point one can buy a much lager commercial boat for the cost of a pleasure boat providing there are no current fishing permits, Why? not that desirable. Too wide to be trailered or trailered with out a pilot car. That means that 1. need to pay to have it moored. 2. mantance needs to be done in the water or at boat yard. 3 often a displacement hull, so top speed is defined by boat length and is in the 6~12knots. 4. pretty Spartian accommodations. they are work boats.

If the boat has valid permits the owner is not so much selling the boat but selling a fishing business. and that is reflected in the much higher price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom