Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Visibility at South Monastery Beach at 50 feet was stunning, today. Also, the moderate surge that prevails in the shallows completely goes away at depth. There is a body of a dead sea lion in the middle of the kelp bed. It didn't have any physical marks or injury so I don't know what led to its death. The belly appeared bloated, although it didn't look decomposing from the outside. As the body rots and a scent trail begins to form, I wouldn't want to dive that area.

To whoever left the two pairs Scubapro Twin Jet fins at South Monastery Beach (bright neon yellow), they have been returned to Aquarius Dive Shop.

Not surprisingly, others have beaten me to the punch here. Saturday, North Monastery, 30-40 feet of viz, 51 Oceanic degrees, even by the trench at 100'. Some decent surge out by the wash rock. Lovely sizable mola out free swimming at about 80 feet, again, near the wash rock. Tons of opalescent nudis at about 30 - 45 feet as we headed towards the trench, just out in the open in the grassy areas. The usual huge lings and cabezons, all of whom appear to be on roids with their girth and length. Love this site. Such a lovely dive after so many bad weeks. cheers

On Sunday, Breakwater wall and metridiums locations were fantastic. 30 to 40ft at both. I got some excellent video of the sea lions swarming us. I also came across the discarded shell of a spiny lobster! I've seen people say they thought they saw one but never had a photo of it.

_WUF7721.jpg
It appeared shed and not eaten. This was taken after I had moved the main portion to show my buddy. When I found it, the leg casings were still with it.

Last edited:
Definitely not a Vermillion (just looked it up). I grew up, and dove in southern California so am quite familiar with Garibaldi.

Definitely not a Vermillion (just looked it up). I grew up, and dove in southern California so am quite familiar with Garibaldi.

It's been over 15 years since I have seen a Garibaldi in the wild, as it's been that long since I have dived in our southern waters. However, you couldn't mistake a Vermilion Rockfish for a Garibaldi. They have radically different colors and shapes. Vermilion Rock fish are quite beautiful and are not as prolific as the common Blue/Black/Olive Rockfish. It's always a good dive when I manage to see one.

I recall it was a warm year, warm enough the metridiums were gone.

Seeing a Garibaldi while diving in Monterey would be very neat. I thought they were generally found further South, but you never know when you might see something spectacular or out of the ordinary. I've heard stories of them swimming into divers hard enough to cause bruising, and apparently broke a divers mask once. Not too sure about the Garibaldi breaking a divers mask though... sounds like a fish tale, but you never know :)

Back
Top Bottom