Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We went to Coral Street on Wednesday and had excellent conditions. Visibility was about 30', and I think it would have become better if we had gone further and gone deeper. As it was, we only got down to 60fsw, just before the really nice stuff kicks in. Wesley is still waiting for her drysuit to come back from Bare, and until she gets it she has to dive wet. That means 75 minutes at 60 fsw is her limit!

While the surface conditions looked glassy, with almost no discernible swell, there was a surprising amount of surge even at depth. When I came back I checked the buoy report and found the swell period this afternoon was up to 16 seconds. It's absolutely amazing to me how that long period swell can generate so much water movement at depth even when the swell height is so little. I do understand the mathematics of it, but it's always still a bit surprising to experience it.

Wesley is still waiting for her drysuit to come back from Bare, and until she gets it she has to dive wet. That means 75 minutes at 60 fsw is her limit!
Bruce, what wetsuit was Wesley using?

Bruce, what wetsuit was Wesley using?
She has a two piece BARE 7mm. I think it was one she saw was a closeout, so she picked it up for a song. All of the major wetsuit manufacturers tend to change styles every year, and when they do they put last year's style on closeout and sell it for about half of what it cost before it went on closeout. The funny thing to me is that I can never tell which of two different models is the newer, more "stylish" wetsuit.

75 minutes at 60 feet is pretty good. It takes me a little while to find the twins again when I do that.

Blue 50ft @ 70FSW at lobos today.

Breakwater was brown and ugly less than 10ft vis until 20ft depth then it opened up to about 15-20. Dove along the pipe to Metridium. Tons of Lions Nudibranchs. 54 temp. Did another dive along wall and it was same.

Third dive North Monastery 30-45ft vis depending on where you were. Shallower was better vis and it dropped off a little at depth. Blue. Water temp 53. Finally some decent vis.

Did a dive at the metridium fields and visibility was about 20-25ft at 50fsw and water temp was 54. There were Lots of sea nettles. Second dive we just cruised up and down the big pipe to the metridium fields looking at all the life especially the vast numbers of nudibranch. On our way back to shore we saw a bay pipefish, and what appeared to be a hermit crab without a shell which was interesting looking. We also had what I believe was a Pelagic cormorants zoom around us then dart back up to the surface.

Last edited:
Did the breakwater wall yesterday afternoon hoping to see mola molas. Easy entry. Visability 20-30 feet. Lot's of creatures but no molas. Octopus in the sand numerous, as was rainbow nudibranch. Saw a large slug that was new to me and don't know the name. Saw several vermillion rockfish I don't recall ever seeing vermillions at breakwater before. Saw a thornback ray in the sand at the interface with the wall It was still there on my return trip and I gave it a closer look and found it was hooked and dragging a foot of heavy line and a big sinker. I couldn't get the hook out but cut the line and sinker free. Hopefully the hook will rust out and it will be ok. Nearby I saw a conglomeration of at least 5 octopus all tangled together out in the open. I thought it may be some kind of orgy but then spotted a sinker and line and when giving it a tug learned that it was a baited hook and the octos were fighting to devour the piece of bait. My tug prompted the fisherman to reel up and I saw bait whisked away shedding octopus along the way. Out near the end of the jetty I was swarmed with sea lions doing their acrobatics. I have experienced this before here as it was expected but still a thrill. After leaving them and heading back I heard a couple barks and peeked back to see the whole gang right behind me as if to be saying "What you're leaving so soon!"

surfaced to sunshine
wonderful dive.

People tend to suggest that breakwater is an inferior site for beginners but it's top notch in my book.

Goodness, what a difference 24 hours does to our local area. Arrived at Monastery Beach at 9:00am. Was greeted by some monstrous waves that actually spilled over the sand dunes. At the northern side, it spilled into the area where the creek flows during winter. Walked to the southern side and the waves crashing near the center exceeded 8-10 feet. Stopped by the Breakwater to see bleak conditions. The water was rushing up to all three stairs. I really feel for the OW students who have to brave that muck. A diver told me 10-15 feet once you got down and away from the shore line.

My buddy and I were on the same page. Neither is going in. Had a delightful lunch at Schooner's and headed home. It's unfortunate about the water turbulence as top side conditions were extremely pleasant and quite warm for fall.

That's why I check the swell forecast page on Chuck's site days before planning a dive. For me it's not worth hours of driving only to get down there and find the ocean looks like something from a post-Apocalyptic movie. Next few days look like conditions will be crap, but I'm hoping things clear up for Veteran's Day weekend :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom