Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Took my friend on his first boat dive yesterday, but unfortunately, it was a horrible day for it. Bad surge and terrible viz everywhere. I ended up calling the dives we attempted. Conditions were just too dicy.

Sorry folks. These horrid conditions (as well as the stellar conditions over the last month) are all my fault. My month-long no-diving restriction from (minor for the doctor) surgery ended this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you please have another minor procedure done so we can return to stellar vis?

Yesterday 1/15, was about 25' inside whalers cove early, as the tide was going out. Outside the cove were decent sized rollers with a large interval creating some "foam". Underneath (at the end of the sand channel about parallel with the pit), the water got murkier, about 15' max. Swimming closer to the rocks got you 5-10' more of vis.

Can't wait to explore more of Lobos in some calm weather.

Breakwater parking lot almost totally full top to bottom when I arrived around 10:30.

Finally did metridium fields today, can't believe it has taken me this long to check them out. Found them just fine and it was very enjoyable. Vis was 20-25, sunny and warm topside with almost no wind. occasional sets of 3-4ft surf rolling in but otherwise calm, walk in/out entry as long as you do so between sets.

Variety of jellies including many of what I believe are called sea butterflies. At the metridiums there was a good number of nettles cruising mid-water. Observed some octopus in the sand around the metridiums as well. these were a bit larger than those I typically see in the sand right of the breakwater. From the metridiums I took a course back towards the entry next to the wall rather than follow the pipe back the way I came. On the reef mid-way in about 30fsw I came across an almost totally decomposed corpse of what was most likely a sea lion. Basiclly a 2' x 3' mound of tissue/blubber largely covered by bat stars and a number of bones in and adjacent to it. Looked like rib bones from what I could tell. Fascinating and a bit creepy.

After the dive eating a very late lunch on the bluff above the beach saw a whale spouting not far away, roughly just beyond where I believe "the barge" dive site would be. I was very surprised to see it so close to boat traffic. Looked to be a small whale and saw it spout several times and it clearly did not have much of a dorsal fin so I think that would make it a gray whale most likely.

Anyway, great day and great dive. I took some video and will get around to editing and posting later.

Yeah. Its grey whale time and the chances of of one coming into proximity of the breakwater is actually possible.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Argh! Finally can dive after two months of being landlocked, but the week forecast looks pretty crappy. Wherefore art thou 1ft swells and 60ft vis?

I feel your pain Vegan... Been busy seeing the awesome conditions for days and days, only to finally have a few days off to see a significant swell on the way. Grab the surfboard I guess. At least others got to have it. Peace....

Back
Top Bottom