Monterey diving April 8 and 9?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spyderdiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all I just recently found this board while I was looking for some Monterey bay diving information. I’m from the east coast and will be heading out there April 6-14 for work. I was hoping to log some bottom time over the weekend

What is the best way to experience Monterey for the first time? From what I have red most of the diving is from the shore. Is there anyone who is planning on diving that weekend and wouldn’t mind some company?

As for protection I’m not dry suite certified, I will be packing my Xcel polar hooded fullsuit 8/7/6/5mm. Do you wetsuite divers have any suggestions on how to keep worm?

Keith at the Bamboo Reef dives Monterey almost every day. He is an excellent guy and a great guide. He can set you up with everything you need and can even get you outfitted with a drysuit.

Which store does Keith work out of? I have the store in Rohnert Park pretty close to me.

Both my friend and I wear 7mm suits, but I started wearing my 3/2 shorty underneath as I was always cold. Next time my friend said he is going to do the same thing. Something to be said for warm water diving, but I can not do that on any given weekend.

Spyderdiver:
Hello all I just recently found this board while I was looking for some Monterey bay diving information. I’m from the east coast and will be heading out there April 6-14 for work. I was hoping to log some bottom time over the weekend

What is the best way to experience Monterey for the first time? From what I have red most of the diving is from the shore. Is there anyone who is planning on diving that weekend and wouldn’t mind some company?

As for protection I’m not dry suite certified, I will be packing my Xcel polar hooded fullsuit 8/7/6/5mm. Do you wetsuite divers have any suggestions on how to keep worm?
i am in monterey almost every other weekend and though i was there this weekend i will probley be there again on the next two, if i am i would be more then happy to show you around and do some dives, i also use a 7mm exell one piece, its the tri polar density and it keeps me warm for about an hour to 1/12 hours, but i do plan to try using my 3.2 shorty under it next time as was recomended to me, as i somtimes get cold just sitting in one place while i am teaching a class. i am a real could sissy , get cold real easy so if i can do it i would imagin you will be fine in your 7mm. we can see how it goes ,so let me know as it gets closer to those dates. thanks jim

Not sure whether you're going to be in Monterey or SF, but if it's SF and the Monterey thing doesn't work out, you're welcome to dive with us for abalone and on scuba at Stillwater Cove (N. of San Francisco) on Sunday 4/9.

I agree with the posters above that you should be fine in your wetsuit as long as you don't chill easily.

--Scott

Thank you all for your advice I will definitely bring my shortly along with me now. How much weight do you normally dive with using so much rubber? Last time I dove in my 7mm I needed to use 24lbs. I just hope I dont look like this when I hit the water :eek_2:

I will actually be staying at the Crown plaza in Milpitas 95035, and driving down to Monterey Saturday and Sunday.

I will only have access to the internet until tomorrow morning when my flight leaves. Jim and/or anyone else pleas give me a call if you wouldn’t mind me tagging along, my phone number is 443-454-5319.

If no one here is able to make it what is the best way to meet up with other divers?

D_O_H:
Not sure whether you're going to be in Monterey or SF, but if it's SF and the Monterey thing doesn't work out, you're welcome to dive with us for abalone and on scuba at Stillwater Cove (N. of San Francisco) on Sunday 4/9.

I agree with the posters above that you should be fine in your wetsuit as long as you don't chill easily.

--Scott

Thank you for the offer if I’m completely disappointed in Monterey diving I might just take you up on that treasure hunt offer. What is the best way for me to get in touch with you?

Spyderdiver:
I will only have access to the internet until tomorrow morning when my flight leaves. Jim and/or anyone else pleas give me a call if you wouldn’t mind me tagging along, my phone number is 443-454-5319.

If no one here is able to make it what is the best way to meet up with other divers?

Just show up at San Carlos beach, aka "The Breakwater." There WILL be other divers there, and many won't mind someone else tagging along. I'd go with ya, but I have reservations at Pt. Lobos on the 9th.

24lbs might be about right. You could always grab another 3-4lbs just in case. If you're going to wear a shorty under it, you'll need to compensate for that, too. You have thick(er) gloves and booties, too, right?

dannobee:
Just show up at San Carlos beach, aka "The Breakwater." There WILL be other divers there, and many won't mind someone else tagging along. I'd go with ya, but I have reservations at Pt. Lobos on the 9th.

24lbs might be about right. You could always grab another 3-4lbs just in case. If you're going to wear a shorty under it, you'll need to compensate for that, too. You have thick(er) gloves and booties, too, right?

So you are saying I should just go rent a couple tanks then show up at the beach, how many divers are there normally? What are the dive conditions like at San Carlos beach, marine life, vis, kelp, ex? I’m starting to get concerned that I started planning this way to late.

Pt. Lobos is completely booked :11doh: any other suggestions in addition to San Carlos?

Back
Top Bottom