Monterey - November 9 to 11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Atom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, I'm taking advantage of a business trip to SF to swing by the Monterey area and do some California diving. If anybody's interested in skipping work friday and going diving let me know! Well saturday or sunday would be good too, I was thinking of booking some space on a charter (recommendations welcomed), but since I usually prefer shore diving I'd be happy if somebody wants to go shore diving.

I'm fairly experienced but its my first time in Monterey, I'm used to cold water and current but not to surf entries, so don't miss the occasion to see the surf kick my ass :)

Stay clear of Monastery beach, especially since you haven't done surf entries before.
I'm not sure what my schedule is around the time you're around, I may or may not be helping with some basic checkout dives. But I'll be keeping my mind on this thread as the day comes by.

Dive boat links can be found here:
Monterey SCUBA Diving Charter Boats
http://www.montereyblue.com/www.montereyblue.com/HOME_PAGE.html - smaller zodiac boat

Mary Joe on the Beach Hopper II makes killer brownies.
Jim on the Escapade isn't afraid to drive all the way down to the Big Sur/Carmel border (great diving w/o the car drive).
Sean who captains the Monterey Express from time to time is hilarious (he'll crack jokes if you let him).

I'm a maybe for some weekend shore diving---can't schedule that far ahead, I'm afraid.

Wayne

Stay clear of Monastery beach, especially since you haven't done surf entries before.
I'm not sure what my schedule is around the time you're around, I may or may not be helping with some basic checkout dives. But I'll be keeping my mind on this thread as the day comes by.

Dive boat links can be found here:
Monterey SCUBA Diving Charter Boats
HOME PAGE - smaller zodiac boat

Mary Joe on the Beach Hopper II makes killer brownies.
Jim on the Escapade isn't afraid to drive all the way down to the Big Sur/Carmel border (great diving w/o the car drive).
Sean who captains the Monterey Express from time to time is hilarious (he'll crack jokes if you let him).

Sounds like you'd recommend all 3? We'll be out the week befor T'giving, went out w/ Monterey Blue last year, and can recommend, but looking to go further afield this year.

Sounds like you'd recommend all 3? We'll be out the week befor T'giving, went out w/ Monterey Blue last year, and can recommend, but looking to go further afield this year.

Only recommend all three because I've dealt with the three in some way. The other dive boats I have yet to have any experience with. I haven't really heard any bad things about any of the boats or crew to be honest.

Only recommend all three because I've dealt with the three in some way. The other dive boats I have yet to have any experience with. I haven't really heard any bad things about any of the boats or crew to be honest.

OK, cool, thanks. Sounds like the trek down to Carmel is a good thing? Maybe we'll go that route. We're east coast divers but I have family out that way, so we want to see how the other coast dives :D

I'll be at Breakwater for the weekend. I'm a newbie but this is where I did my cert dives. I'll be there early at the tables. Stop by and say hi!

Samma- If the conditions allow and you are looking to do a shore dive..do not let Monastary scare you. If it is flat it is one of the best dives in the area. I am talking FLAT.

Thanks for all the answers, I'll bump this thread up a bit before nov 9. Kian I'll swing by to say hi if I can.

Agreed, thanks for the answers. Drewpy, we enjoyed a night shore dive from the beach by the pier last year, and if the conditions permit, would likely try for a Saturday shore dive either from there or Monastery as well. It'd be late afternoon or evening, though, and after Sunday our trip will be focused on family time instead of dive time.
We'll be keeping an eye on the local conditions thread as well.

Back
Top Bottom