Monterey OW Cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I just found some pertinent information: "An unexpected and undeniably unpleasant experience is clearing your mask in subzero temperatures. The sensation of icy water cascading into your mask, pressing against your eyelids and nose is truly awful, but is a necessary evil." :)

Maybe, maybe not. I've heard claimed that only some 10-20% who certify here become regular divers. But it's probably for other reasons than freezing their butts off :)

No "zero to hero" here, but about how many dives for a novice diver before they "may" dive to 30m? And what cert. is involved to go further than recreational diver limits for that depth?

I help with classes in Monterey about twice a month and it's not that bad. The key to staying warm is a good fitting wetsuit which most rentals don't and allow to much water to flush through. I use a 8/7/6 full suit with attached hood and stay warm but I also get a new suit every two years or so because the more you dive a wetsuit they will compress and loose thermal protection. Your open water dives just consist of the skills you learned in he pool as for the depth most likely you will be at Breakwater and around the 20 foot range to get more depth you will have a decent swim. As for depth limits 60' is recommended for OW and 130' for advanced but there is no scuba police out there and honestly you will see more in the shallower waters because there is more to see and more light penetration I only go deep for a reason some people get stuck a depth number? I go diving to see stuff not look at a number on my gage.

No "zero to hero" here, but about how many dives for a novice diver before they "may" dive to 30m? And what cert. is involved to go further than recreational diver limits for that depth?

it depends on conditions and your personal comfort level and experience. padi recommendation is 60ft for ow, but historically ow divers have been certified for recreational diving up to 130ft. you would want to build up to it (eg 60ft max at first, then maybe 80, then 100, etc), but there really isn't any reason you can't do some deeper dives within recreational limits as you build experience. i did a few dives to 100+ ft before taking aow.

diving past the NDL involves decompression which becomes technical diving. there are a few options there, but don't worry about it for now. just finish your cert and go diving. take aow when it makes sense for you. some people prefer to take it early because they didn't feel confident coming out of ow.

Great insight for the OW cert. Kind of the first baby step to becoming an experienced diver. Up to each diver to continuously improve their comfort and knowledge of diving. The c-card just gets a diver into the game.

Then it's important to go forward and see what the OW cert. didn't completely cover when it comes to real world experiences. Train and train some more, but enjoy the ride. And always, always breathe. :)

some people prefer to take it early because they didn't feel confident coming out of ow.

Here's a thought. Use some stretchy electrical tape to seal your wrists and ankles some from water entry and exit. Put your booties on and then wrap some duct tape over the seam, same with your gloves. That or rent a semidry suit (seals openings better than regular wetsuits).

Definitely talk with your instructor before doing the tape idea.

Hope a semi-dry will be available for the cert which is probably the weekend of Feb. 25/26. at Breakwater. I wouldn't mind purchasing a lavacore skin if my size is available at Breakwater. Finished 4 pool dives and the final exam last Thursday. While removing the bcd, doffing and donning, one students bcd/tank floated away and to the surface with his mouth attached to his reg. Not a pretty sight. I thought he might get disqualified.

He was given a second chance which he successfully completed. No one out of us 6 students failed to complete tasks successfully. CESA was done at the surface. Not sure how it's done at Breakwater. Also not sure if the tank is donned/doffed at Breakwater.

Will only get a room for Saturday night for me and my wife. When I finish Saturdays dives I'll head for the hotel room and get in the bath tub. Then my wife and I will go get something to eat and I will turn in early to be rested for Sunday.

Last edited:

Good Morning....

As someone else said, there is no "Scuba police" to keep you from going deeper than 60 ft (I did it a few times as an OW). But do yourself a favor and take a Deep Diving specialty course. It will prepare you for the possible issues you may see at deeper depths (ie. Nitrogen Narcosis, Faster air consumption). When I took it it was a REALLY good course (of course the instructor does make a difference). Best wishes for your diving career!

Adam

Hope a semi-dry will be available for the cert which is probably the weekend of Feb. 25/26. at Breakwater. I wouldn't mind purchasing a lavacore skin if my size is available at Breakwater. Finished 4 pool dives and the final exam last Thursday. While removing the bcd, doffing and donning, one students bcd/tank floated away and to the surface with his mouth attached to his reg. Not a pretty sight. I thought he might get disqualified.

He was given a second chance which he successfully completed. No one out of us 6 students failed to complete tasks successfully. CESA was done at the surface. Not sure how it's done at Breakwater. Also not sure if the tank is donned/doffed at Breakwater.

Will only get a room for Saturday night for me and my wife. When I finish Saturdays dives I'll head for the hotel room and get in the bath tub. Then my wife and I will go get something to eat and I will turn in early to be rested for Sunday.

I will being working an OW class that weekend Saturday Breakwater and Sunday MacaBee Beach. You will do remove and replace on the surface not underwater and the CESA is done from depth to the surface at Breakwater 17-20 feet but it is easier than horizontal in the pool you have physics working with you. Good luck!

Just be careful about hoping in a hot shower / bath after diving if you are very cold. It can increase your risk for DCS. Probably not a concern with short checkout dives, but something to be aware of. Alert Diver | DAN Experts Answer Your Medical Questions

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom