Monterey OW Cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depth
Open Water Dives 1 and 2 – 12 metres/40 feet
Open Water Dives 3 and 4 – 18 metres/60 feet
When conducting three dives in one day, the maximum
depth for the last dive is 12 metres/40 feet.
Dive 1 skills- Clear a partially flooded mask. & Recover and clear the regulator at depth. and any flex skill except. CESA

the last thing you want to do is rent a drysuit- plus most LDS will not rent without a drysuit specialty cert. card. One thing you should remember while participating in training is try and not multi-task.it normally takes about 0 dives to become proficient in drysuit usage just concentrate on your open water skills and bouyancy, remember to take baby steps before sprinting ..

I know people who have done the OW course in a dry suit. It's all very hard, adding the extra complexity doesn't seem to hurt them.

I think @Storker said most students in Norway do their OW class in a dry suit.

One cool thing about being on the Scubaboard, is practically doing the Monterey cert. before actually doing the cert. Lots of detailed information to prepare. Thanks :)

Something off topic that I was wondering about. What constitutes a saw tooth dive profile. What is the minimum depth where the dives fit a saw tooth profile.

If repetitive down/up/down/up is bad in a deep dive. At what depth can that be overlooked. < 20 feet? I know dive tables would probably answer my question.

Last edited:
I do that kind of shallow up down profile running ascent/descent drills every time. The issues typically are an issue when you are have done a long and deep dive, ascend shallow, then descent deep again.

In theory you can have minor bubbles in your veins that can get crushed during the second deep dive and migrate into arteries while crushed.

I don't this this is a problem at the kind of depths and times you should be running during early diving. It's a problem that guys doing hour long 200 feet dives should be careful about.

So no residual gas going down/up repetitively in less than 20 feet to strengthen OW skills? I know AGE/DCS II is a possibility with poor/bad breathing in less than 20 feet.

Assuming you do it under control and at a reasonable ascent rate. And don't hold your breath. Really, don't do that.

I usually do 30-40 to 10 and then back at 10 ft/minute a few times.

I think @Storker said most students in Norway do their OW class in a dry suit.
I can't say that it's the case for the whole country, but it's definitely so in the middle and northern parts of the country.

CMAS 1* pool session in trilams. The instructor (#3 from left) is the owner of one of the two LDSs in town:

School gear from the other LDS in town. It doesn't say on the photo, but I'm pretty certain this is from a PADI OWD class. These guys run the pool sessions with the students in wetsuits, but everything OW is dry. Their rental suits are neoprene drysuits.

Last edited:
Maybe more NorCal prospects would stick it out if drysuit diving were more accessible to the beginner.

Maybe more NorCal prospects would stick it out if drysuit diving were more accessible to the beginner.
Maybe, maybe not. I've heard claimed that only some 10-20% who certify here become regular divers. But it's probably for other reasons than freezing their butts off :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom