Monterey sharks..?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ishie, it sounds like the same guy. I believe his name is Collom (sp?). I remember seeing the news and calling my friend. She found out later he had been grabbed with his head in the mouth on his way up Ab diving. Like you said, just scars no missing pieces. Lucky guy. What great story to tell in bars. BTW what are you doing up at 2 am posting? ha ha. I thought I was the only insomniac around here.

Carl

ps I'm doing my first cold water dive this weekend. Hope for good weather and vis.

Never seen a shark in Monterey, but my wife did. We're diving Monestary and I look over at her, she makes the shark sign with her hand on top of her head. My heart starts racing and I quickly do a 360 to see if I can see it. Nope can't find it. I look back to my buddy and I'm motioning with my arms small or big? She poiints frantically in the direction and stretches her arms out as far as they will go. So now I am looking all over the place trying to find this GW shark and motioning to my wife to get down near the sea floor as we have about 900 lbs in our tanks and need to get in. I definitely don't want to surface swim it. We make it back never getting more than 2ft off the bottom. In my miind, I had just escaped being eaten by the landlord. In reality I missed seeing a 3ft leopard shark!

Fun dive.

Here's a good reason Leopard sharks are uncommon in Monterey. Poachers charged with illegal harvesting of thousands for sale.
http://www.ktvu.com/news/6846944/detail.html

Since it is common consent that dangerous sharks like GW is rare in Monterey area, is there any logical reason as to why? Specially with the sea lion (GW food) population off the Coast Guard dock is getiing larger.

Back
Top Bottom