Moray eel attack video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

volks_r_us

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This was filmed by one of my GF coworker.
All the moray eel I saw so far were mostly shy. But this one act like a shark around divers. Minus the bite ;-)

I must say where I dive, they don't feed wild animals just like our Mom's thought us :D

I guess it explain the eel behavior

Peace !

---------- Post added April 16th, 2013 at 08:49 PM ----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySunWYj8lWQ

Ouch!

Holy crap! That is why you don't feed freaking bears, sharks... eels.....

IN THE FACE!!! Sorry, couldn't resist. I don't trust eels though...bad eyesight and sharp teeth = not good.

On the dive at Stingray City, when you tour the small reef patch after the rays are fed, there is a large green moray that swims out of his crevice and in/around divers.

I'm not saying the people in the video were feeding the eel, but that type of behavior (swimming out to the diver) is typical of eels that are fed or, at minimum, associate divers with food. Not a good thing.

IN THE FACE!!! Sorry, couldn't resist. I don't trust eels though...bad eyesight and sharp teeth = not good.

On the dive at Stingray City, when you tour the small reef patch after the rays are fed, there is a large green moray that swims out of his crevice and in/around divers.

I'm not saying the people in the video were feeding the eel, but that type of behavior (swimming out to the diver) is typical of eels that are fed or, at minimum, associate divers with food. Not a good thing.
Published on Mar 25, 2013 The eel followed us for most of the dive, then our dive master tried to feed it. Ouch! Lessons Learned: Don't equalize after touching fish with your hand!

Well there you go

Some DMs in Cozumel are feeding lionfish to eels and nurse sharks among other things. I have had eels swim through my legs and up my body. And have had a nurse shark come square at my camera...all because people think they are like Boo-boo and pic-i-nic baskets. Really, really, a bad idea to feed the wildlife. Can the OP confirm where this video was shot?

MMM said:
I have had eels swim through my legs and up my body.

NO......... I can't .............:eyebrow:..........:no: ...........:rofl3: ...........:amazed:

MMM said:

NO......... I can't .............:eyebrow:..........:no: ...........:rofl3: ...........:amazed:

Took me a few reads but now I cant stop laughing!

Obviously hope the guys ok but I'm curious to see the damage this eel caused.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom