More Female than Male Divers in Japan? T or F?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ooooh pick me pick me, I know..

Well this is what I have heard anyhow:

Japanese women largely live at home until they marry, then (obviously) move directly in with their husband.

Japanese women generally work at least until they are married, so have far lower living costs than and far more disposable income than Japanese men. Japanese women are not expected to share the costs of romance etc, so this leaves them with far more spending power compared to their male counterparts that have to save up for the gazillion dollar shoebox sized apartments they need in order to catch themselves a wife.

That is how a little cherry blossom explained it to me once anyhow. personally I love teaching japanese girls, they are just so darn cute. They also turn their logbooks into real works of art, so bring along some of those couloured pencils and they will spend hours drawing fish etc.

Beautiful Japanese women divers who are nurses? I guess it is time to take that flight to Tokyo... or maybe I should go to Okinawa instead! Sigh. I guess I've been looking for love in all the wrong places.

Dr. Bill

drbill:
Beautiful Japanese women divers who are nurses? I guess it is time to take that flight to Tokyo...

Dr. Bill

Beautiful Japanese women divers who are nurses who are willing to pay $5000 USD to learn to scuba dive.. Yeah, it sounds attractive huh.

Universal Diver:
PS, Matt, what is the temp in Izu now? brrrrrrr.....

On Sunday it was a nice 14 degrees C. I was wearing my Diving Concepts compressed neoprene drysuit with TPS Stretch undergarments.

Oh yeah, nurses...I had some phone numbers of some female nurses in my cell phone. Unfortunately, my cell phone went diving in the washing machine...

Willing to pay $5,000 USD to learn how to dive. I think I'll change my mind and become an instructor. Hmmm, wonder if they'd be willing to pay for a brilliant marine biologist dive guide... for life! I think I need to get back to my editing...

Dr. Bill

cancun mark:
Well this is what I have heard anyhow:

Japanese women largely live at home until they marry, then (obviously) move directly in with their husband.
Almost spot on - but Japanese men too tend to live at home until they are married - wonder why they all have such a hard time adjusting to married life? Suddenly it's 7x24 instead of a couple of hours sneaked in at the love hotel!!

Toyo has plenty of Japanese nurses phone numbers :eyebrow:

Aloha
Here on the Oahu dive boats, the ratio seems to be about 60/ 40 females to males in Japanese. Lots of Japanese divers. Some really impressive Japanese female instructors I have worked with, but over all, the skill levels of the divers seems a bit lower than Americans. That said, very few Japanese divers freak out and bag a dive, it must be that Zen mentality.
Turtleguy

These days there has also been a large increase in the number of 'office ladies'. These are the young single female office workers etc, who have quite good incomes. Marriage has also declined in importance in Japan so more of them are staying single for longer.

Hi, Japanese female diver here. The average Japanese female diver is no taller than 155 cm, will get cold sooner than she runs out of air most dives (this includes Okinawa summers), and has a gym membership where she does aerobics and squash in addition to swimming. Oh, and she usually prefers Izu in winter to summer. (of course, don't most Izu divers? But am I the only person who thinks there is something fundamentally wrong with a pink dry suit?) And she may not be a nurse, but she is often in the medical field. It pays better, and you can vacation in bigger chunks than most office worker types.

Most of my female diver friends live on their own. I think it makes it easier to come and go at odd hours for those trips to Izu. Plus, all the closet space is your own. Got to have somewhere to keep the pink Jet fins and pink and white Bridgestone BCD, I guess.

In my opinion, the women condemned to singleness are the doctors, not nurses. But I do agree with you about the nurses diving. Once I was on a dive boat in Palau and there were three nurses, a pharmacist (chemist to you, Jonathan!), a radiology tech, a cardiologist, an opthamologist, a pulmonologist and a radiologist. Only the pulmonologist and the radiology tech were male. You could have opened a hospital right on board, except no one was licensed to practice medicine in Palau...

Jonathan:
Almost spot on - but Japanese men too tend to live at home until they are married - wonder why they all have such a hard time adjusting to married life? Suddenly it's 7x24 instead of a couple of hours sneaked in at the love hotel!!

This may explain the post honeymoon "Narita divorce"

sunfish:
Hi, Japanese female diver here. ...

sunfish.....please post photo..... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom