More laser eye surgery questions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pharmguy

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking at getting lasered for my Xmas present. I haven't checked with the different clinics because I wanted some unbiased info first. Any info would be helpful.

1. What is the long-term prognosis of the procedure?
2. Is the procedure repeatable/correctable for other deficiencies later on (e.g. 20 years after)?
3. Who has been a guinea pig the longest and have you noticed any significant deterioration in vision?

Being a pharmacist, I am a little neurotic about the long-term or far off implications of procedures, drugs and treatments.

pharmguy:
Looking at getting lasered for my Xmas present. I haven't checked with the different clinics because I wanted some unbiased info first. Any info would be helpful.

1. What is the long-term prognosis of the procedure?
2. Is the procedure repeatable/correctable for other deficiencies later on (e.g. 20 years after)?
3. Who has been a guinea pig the longest and have you noticed any significant deterioration in vision?

Being a pharmacist, I am a little neurotic about the long-term or far off implications of procedures, drugs and treatments.

1 they say you may need adjustments in 10 years, going on 3 no problems at all
2 ditto
3 no problems, in fact over a year things settled for the better.
Paul

When you say "laser", are you meaning the "RK" type (for nearsighted less than diopter -6, they zap the center of the cornea with the laser) or the LASIK (flap & zap, greater than -6) ?
I had the LASIK 4 yrs ago this Christmas. I was a -10 and need nothing now. I was slightly undercorrected in my non-dominant eye so when the time came when I would normally require reading glasses, the undercorrected eye would take over and I would not need the reading glasses. I do not even notice it except at night when driving. I have a pair of glasses specifically for driving at night. It just clarifies things a bit.
Any "enhancements" I may need in the future are included and no charge, as well as a yearly check-up and any glasses I may need. I truly feel I will not need any additional surgeries. I have actually gotten better over time, as the halos are less prevalent. My vision is 20/20 and 20/40.
I researched this procedure for over 3 yrs before I decided to get it done. I also researched the doctors and inquired as to how many of this procedure they had personally done. I went with the most experience. He had done over 17,000 vs the local doctor with less than 1,000.
It is SO NEAT to be able to open my eyes at night and see the clock, let alone read it. Staying out later than normal and not needing eye drops or contact cases and glasses. Not ordering contacts and buying solutions. No traveling hassles. Not having glasses fog up when you go outside from the change in temperature.
I understand the neuroses (sp) from a medical standpoint. I too am in the medical field. (microbiology). That's also why it took me so long to decide to have it done.

I hope some of this helps. Since you are in Canada, your ophthalmologists have been doing this procedure longer than the US drs. My doc came from Canada. That is why he had so much more experience than anyone else did. The US had only just appoved the procedure a year before I decided to do it. Canadians had the procedure for 7 yrs prior.

KPScuba (husband of AmyJ)

I had PRK in 1999, I think, and have had no problems whatsoever. I was corrected to 20/15 in both eyes, and have had no deterioration. I am now 34. Most optometrists or opthamologists cannot even tell I have had the surgery by looking at my eyes. I was about 20/300 prior to the surgery. Love diving, and have no problems there either.

KPScuba (AmyJ's husband)

Thanks for the quick responses everyone.

kittyjg:
When you say "laser", are you meaning the "RK" type (for nearsighted less than diopter -6, they zap the center of the cornea with the laser) or the LASIK (flap & zap, greater than -6) ?

I am about -4 in both eyes. This hasn't changed much over the last 5-8 years. I am pretty well stable. I guess that I would be a candidate for the "RK" procedure.

kittyjg:
It is SO NEAT to be able to open my eyes at night and see the clock, let alone read it. Staying out later than normal and not needing eye drops or contact cases and glasses. Not ordering contacts and buying solutions. No traveling hassles. Not having glasses fog up when you go outside from the change in temperature.

The other night I darn near vasectomized myself trying to get to my son's room in the dark as I couldn't find my glasses. Plus, it would be nice to take a nap without worrying if my contacts will be sticky and uncomfortable afterwards.

kittyjg:
I understand the neuroses (sp) from a medical standpoint. I too am in the medical field. (microbiology). That's also why it took me so long to decide to have it done.

I hope some of this helps. Since you are in Canada, your ophthalmologists have been doing this procedure longer than the US drs. My doc came from Canada. That is why he had so much more experience than anyone else did. The US had only just appoved the procedure a year before I decided to do it. Canadians had the procedure for 7 yrs prior.

I watch people every day put complete faith in new or untested therapies with no concern for the consequences. History is so important but people often refuse to wait long enough to judge the true effects of an action.

Now off to talk to the eye docs...

Questions 1 and 2 should be answered by your opthalmologist.

3, I had Lasik done about 3 1/2 years ago and still have 20/20. I met and interviewed with several doctors and picked the one I was most comfortable with and had the most experience. Please do the same.

I just had Lasik done last week (Thursday) and have had no problems at all. Not even pain - although I felt like I had sand in my eyes for the rest of the afternoon. My doctor advised 10 days for swimming/diving. I'm down to 20/20 the day after. Follow-up appointment at 1 month & they say it usually gets better. Love it! I can see the alarm clock in the morning :)

They said I'd probably need reading glasses in 10-15 years. Since mine is so good I probably won't need an adjustment but they can do those if necessary in a few months.

Back
Top Bottom