More news about Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tool Belt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Security Alert – U. S. Embassy Mexico City, Mexico (March 7, 2018)
Home / News & Events / Security Alert – U. S. Embassy Mexico City, Mexico (March 7, 2018)

Event: On March 7, the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City received information about a security threat in Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, Mexico. Effective immediately, U.S. Government employees are prohibited from traveling to Playa del Carmen until further notice. The U.S. Consular Agency in Playa del Carmen will be closed until further notice.

Actions to Take:

• Be aware of your surroundings and exercise caution.
  • Purchase travel insurance that specifically covers you in Mexico and includes medical evacuation insurance.
  • Contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate if you need assistance.
Assistance:

U.S. Embassy Mexico City, Mexico
(011-52-55) 5080-2000
ACSMexicoCity@state.gov
https://mx.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444

Well that does it. I’m changing my vacation plans. If it were just me, I’d chance it. But I will NOT risk my family.

Well that does it. I’m changing my vacation plans. If it were just me, I’d chance it. But I will NOT risk my family.

Can you fly directly to Cozumel instead of the "bag drag" or are you making plans for another destination?

This is more than just another warning. They closed the Consulate Office in Playa because of some undisclosed threat.

US consular agency closes

PLAYA DEL CARMEN, SOLIDARIDAD, March 7.- For supposed security threat in Playa del Carmen as of Wednesday, March 7, the US government totally restricted the trips of its employees to this vacation destination and the consular agency close activities until further notice. Fact that adds to the previous warning of trip of this same country before the explosion in the Caribbean ship I on February 21, where five American tourists were injured.
The alert issued by the United States Embassy in Mexico resulted in the countries of Germany and Canada also alerting their nationals to travel to Quintana Roo, specifically making use of the maritime transport of the Playa del Carmen-Cozumel route and vice versa, by the explosion of February 21 and the alleged unexploded explosives on the Caribbean II ship, both of the same company.
Today through the official website the embassy and consulates of the government of the United States of North America in Mexico announced the closure of the consular agency in Playa del Carmen before supposed security threat, with no date to resume activities. It is located on the top floor of the Progreso building, south of the city on the Boulevard Playa del Carmen with Arco Vial Poniente.
The statement refers verbatim: On March 7, the US Embassy. UU In Mexico City he received information about a security threat in Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, Mexico. With immediate effect, employees of the US government. UU They are prohibited from traveling to Playa del Carmen until further notice. The Consular Agency of EE. UU in Playa del Carmen will be closed until further notice.
Also, to his fellow citizens who are in this part of the Mexican Caribbean, recommended the following actions to take: Be attentive to your environment and be careful; Buy travel insurance that covers specifically in Mexico and includes medical evacuation insurance, and Contact the US Embassy or Consulate. UU Closer if you need help.
This new travel 'observation' represents a serious blow to the tourist destination, putting the Easter season and summer vacations at risk, remembering that the American visitors occupy the first place in tourist affluence.

From sources here - it was not a threat on tourists and is not even confirmed to be a real threat or a - but of course - the Government HAS to practice extra caution for its employees working in that office and in the area.

Confirmed by a reliable source on island - the Consulate office in Playa is closed because the Consulate can't get to work as she LIVES in Cozumel and there is a ban on using the ferry for Government employees right now. So it is not a NEW security threat, it is just the continuation of the ferry precautions.

This was also issued yesterday - reminding people to behave like decent humans on vacation:
Security Alert - U. S. Embassy Mexico City, Mexico (March 7, 2018) | U.S. Embassy & Consulates in Mexico

Last edited:
Can you fly directly to Cozumel instead of the "bag drag" or are you making plans for another destination?
I work for Southwest Airlines. So while I could fly someone else to Cozumel, I fly free on Southwest.

You can always take the Mayair over and skip Playa.

We fly SW to CUN all the time. Enough to get the companion pass and A list. Of course the non-stop out of BWI doesn't seem to match well with Mayair schedule, but it could be close enough to wait for it.

And do you get drink coupons to hand out to friends? Buddy....

I just edited my post above to add this:

Just confirmed by a reliable source here - the Consulate office in Playa is closed because the Consulate can't get to work as she LIVES in Cozumel and there is a ban on using the ferry for Government employees right now. So it is not a NEW security threat, it is just the continuation of the ferry precautions.

I just edited my post above to add this:

Just confirmed by a reliable source here - the Consulate office in Playa is closed because the Consulate can't get to work as she LIVES in Cozumel and there is a ban on using the ferry for Government employees right now. So it is not a NEW security threat, it is just the continuation of the ferry precautions.

The announcements coming from the US State Department state that a "new threat" was received on Wednesday by the embassy in Mexico City, so that doesn't sound like the closure was due to any inconvenience to the PDC Consulate. And I don't think that they would bar all US SD staff from PDC just because one person can't ride the ferry to get to work, even though it is an important person. The Consulate is not the individual that closed the PDC office, it came from the SD and the embassy in Mexico City - although I imagine that she gave input into the decision.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom