More Wyndham/Sabor drama with a Sand Dollar Sports and Dive Palancar thrown in!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know of any reasons to think Dive Palancar will be leaving the Grand but as this story goes to show things can happen quickly & without warning. They were also at the Allegro but got axed after a CO incident which came close to being big. They have the boats & staff for 2 locations, plus a long history of good service, but like most businesses running dives on a schedule they most likely have timed dives on most boat trips.

I don't have a dog in this fight.....so I have not read the entire thread but saw this info on D2D this morning and thought it may be of some interest to some....if this has already been posted pls ignore :D

Oye, Cozuphiles. It's official--Sand Dollar Sports is out, Dive Palancar is in.+

This just in:

“Good morning and thank you for contacting Sand Dollar Sports. Yes, it is correct as of today we are no longer the on-site Dive Operator at Sabor/Aura Resorts. Due to a change of management, Administration did not want to have our company operating at the resorts. Sand Dollar Sports will operate from San Clemente pier (pier at the North of the Hotel) picking up guests at 8:00 am that have reservations with us. If you have any of our pre-paid cards please let me know to arrange your reservation.

Regards,

Geraldine Sandoval
Sales Assistant
sds@sanddollarsports.com
Welcome to Sand Dollar Sports Cozumel México, Scuba Diving, Fishing Charters, Parasailing, Harley Davidson, Snuba, Snorkel.
Office 52.987.872.0793
65th Ave. #216 Cozumel, Mexico”

“Subject: New Dive Operator Sabor and Aura Cozumel
Dear all,

I am glad to announce that effective today our new In house Dive Operator is Dive Palancar, this change is effective for Aura Cozumel Grand Resort and Sabor Cozumel Resort and Spa

As of today, they will be based at our properties providing diving and water sports facilities.

I am confident that our mutual customers will value this new change in our company,

We are in process of sending you their contact information to arrange any kind of dive tour

Do not hesitate to contact me for any question

Milton Ocampo
Director de Ventas / Sales Director
Sabor Cozumel Resort & Spa
Aura Cozumel Grand Resort
Carretera costera sur Km. 12.9 Zona Hotelera Sur
Isla Cozumel, Quintana Roo C.P. 77600
Tel. (52) 987 87 29300 ext. 8107
Fax (52) 987 87 293 15
mocampo@auraresortscozumel.com
Sabor Resorts and Spa | Cozumel, México www.auraresorts.com”

I don't know of any reasons to think Dive Palancar will be leaving the Grand but as this story goes to show things can happen quickly & without warning. They were also at the Allegro but got axed after a CO incident which came close to being big. They have the boats & staff for 2 locations, plus a long history of good service, but like most businesses running dives on a schedule they most likely have timed dives on most boat trips.

well if dive palancar got axed at the allegro, why not the occidental grand also, they are sister resorts (same chain) ???

so, dive palancar will be at the wooden pier at the aura grand, & sand dollar sports at the san clemente pier, where they have always been, do i understand this correctly ???

well if dive palancar got axed at the allegro, why not the occidental grand also, they are sister resorts (same chain) ???
One can only guess. I suppose the two have different site managers and allergo's felt it necessary to distance the property from the Op that injured several customers.
so, dive palancar will be at the wooden pier at the aura grand, & sand dollar sports at the san clemente pier, where they have always been, do i understand this correctly ???
I think we got into some confusion over docks and names. I suspect that DP will have exclusive use of the concrete pier while others will pick up at the wooden dock, whichever happens be named for the saint mentioned. It's really odd that SD got away with collecting fees on the wooden pier before, since it was owned by a third party, previous owner - not SD or the hotel either one, if that is correct. I do think the original info was that the wooden pier is named San Clemente, but that was not entirely clear.

One can only guess. I suppose the two have different site managers and allergo's felt it necessary to distance the property from the Op that injured several customers.

I think we got into some confusion over docks and names. I suspect that DP will have exclusive use of the concrete pier while others will pick up at the wooden dock, whichever happens be named for the saint mentioned. It's really odd that SD got away with collecting fees on the wooden pier before, since it was owned by a third party, previous owner - not SD or the hotel either one, if that is correct. I do think the original info was that the wooden pier is named San Clemente, but that was not entirely clear.

no don,
the san clemente pier is the concrete pier where sd has always been, take a look at the link to sand dollar sports web site that parrotheaddiver poasted earler today & click on news !!!!

I have been in contact with a few people in Cozumel. The hotel gave them one day to clear out after Sand Dollar had hosted all the owners to a fun day on Saturday - nice guys!
The hotel tried to double the rent and Sand Dollar said no. The good part is that Sand Dollar owns the pier and the strip of land leading up to it (The road they bring the tanks in on). So, they are operating off the pier and even honoring the "hotel" discount for those who bought points at the resort. Prepaid cards are still valid too.
Sand Dollar is a big enough operation that there should be no fear of them not living up to their promises. Too bad you cannot say that about the hotel.

Sand Dollar is still operating from the same pier just north of the resort, so you can still use them as before.

The good part is that Sand Dollar owns the pier and the strip of land leading up to it (The road they bring the tanks in on).
No way? I still cannot imagine a pier being owned by a previous hotel owner and now the other is owned by the last renter? That means that the huge property does not own one? We are hearing everything.

No way? I still cannot imagine a pier being owned by a previous hotel owner and now the other is owned by the last renter? That means that the huge property does not own one? We are hearing everything.
Two questions come to mind. One, if SD still owns the concrete pier, where will Dive Palancar operate from? Two, will DP have to pay the doubled rent that SD was told to pay or get out???

I think something very fishy is going on. I'm sure the true facts will come out eventually. Glad I'm not involved since I'm not staying at Wyndham/Sabor this trip, and I don't use SD as my dive op.

based on information in this thread, posted by Christi & Antonio I think it's fair to say the CONCRETE pier

IMG_9453-1.jpg

and access to it belongs to Sanddollar irregardless of whether they lease or own it.

The buildings however belong to the owners of what's now renamed the Sabor, the Reef Regency, & the Aura.

IMG_8241-1.jpg

The wooden pier built in front of the Aura

IMG_0429-1.jpg

Doesn't have any building near it that can operate as a dive shop, but that can be remedied pretty quickly and even though the other buildings are ready to go I can't see Sanddollar & Dive Palancar working things out re sharing the concrete pier vs just putting a shop at the wooden pier. I could be wrong, and time will tell, but for now everything I've read says Sanddollar is the rightful owner (as such) to the concrete pier & they therefore can control it's use. They could use the existing dive shop for teaching & training, tank storage & / or filling etc while using a beachfront location at the pier for check in before getting onto whatever boat they have assigned you to.

Back
Top Bottom