Morrison Springs Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome job and update Grumby. I have to say I agree with everything Yoda said. I also am impressed with some of the "improvements"....especially if we get a bathroom and showers.

I do think the "local" swimmers will want to dive off of the floating dock. Also, with the size of the diving crowds some days at Morrison, that dock will be VERY crowded. I can see some real log jams happening there.

But, I think we should all be willing to make the best of it so we can keep this great dive site available to all of us. Let's all think "happy thoughts" and hope that we can dive there soon.:D

Thanks again for the effort Grumby!

I just got off the phone with the Walton County Public Information Officer, Chris Mitchell. He has been posting pictures of the construction progress on the Walton County website (Walton County, Florida Online). We spoke for 45 minutes and he was not only informative, but very helpful as well. He sent me a number of additional pictures that he felt would answer the questions I was asking.

Awesome job and update Grumby. I have to say I agree with everything Yoda said. I also am impressed with some of the "improvements"....especially if we get a bathroom and showers.

I do think the "local" swimmers will want to dive off of the floating dock. Also, with the size of the diving crowds some days at Morrison, that dock will be VERY crowded. I can see some real log jams happening there.

But, I think we should all be willing to make the best of it so we can keep this great dive site available to all of us. Let's all think "happy thoughts" and hope that we can dive there soon.:D

Thanks again for the effort Grumby!

I don't really know if I will be using the new dive dock. It seems to me that it will be less effort to gear up at the car and just walk in like we used to. That is a very pretty, but very LOOONNNGGGG boardwalk to get to the dive dock. I'm having visions of the East Jetty Death March without the sand!!

I just wonder how long it will be until someone tries to affix a couple of 2x8's off the side of the boardwalk and act like an in-bred version of Greg Louganis!!

you know what? I think Morrison's going to be ok. The drunk rednecks might show up for a bit, but as much money as they put into this park, the sherriffs aren't going to put up with them. I think we might have scored some nice facilities and a lil less sand and crap in our gear.

Morrison is in the middle of nowhere, my parents live about 20 mins away, or i can drive my four wheeler there on dirt roads in 30...where are these mobs and busloads of pple going to come from?

you know what? I think Morrison's going to be ok. The drunk rednecks might show up for a bit, but as much money as they put into this park, the sherriffs aren't going to put up with them. I think we might have scored some nice facilities and a lil less sand and crap in our gear.

Morrison is in the middle of nowhere, my parents live about 20 mins away, or i can drive my four wheeler there on dirt roads in 30...where are these mobs and busloads of pple going to come from?

I think that the local constabulary may be a deterent at first, but they will get complacent eventually.

As far as the "mobs" are concerned, who knows. I will tell you that last summer I watched a family of 5 get out of a 6-figure RV, that was parked right next to the resident VW microbus with plywood for windows. The mix is amazing, and yet somehow, they all manage to find their way to the springs.

All of that being said, I am anxious to get back into the cavern as soon as possible and blow some bubbles. Whatever the outcome of the construction, we can't change it now, and besides, the surface conditions at Morrisons are part of the fun!

Okay, let's start the betting pool. I say the first tank holder will be broken within the first month. None of them will make it a year. And as for that area being reserved for divers...not likely. We'll be fighting the locals just to get to it.

I'm with Grumby. I don't think I'll be using that bench.

Anyone else?

EDIT: Actually, a few of the tank holds may be spared to hold something else.

MS_keg_bench.jpg

Ask him how itll change with river levels. Ie, sometimes they build stuff and river level changes screwing up the steps. Like Manatee and Troy.

Ask him how itll change with river levels. Ie, sometimes they build stuff and river level changes screwing up the steps. Like Manatee and Troy.

I'll ask, but it looks to me that the dive dock floats, and the ramp down to it from the boardwalk is designed to adjust with the water levels.

...I'm with Grumby. I don't think I'll be using that bench.
Anyone else?...

I never thought I'd use the boardwalk since I was at the first planning meeting. It seemed like overkill for divers. I figure things will be better than the walk to the jetties but very similar. If I have to tote the gear, I might as well wear it. If the walk proves too far (like from the upper parking lot) I'll use the sand yacht to bring all my gear for multiple dives. I can't see parking the yacht at the scuba center as working so I'll again be doing beach entries. I'm not sure what I would use the dock entrance for but I'll reserve judgment until I get to see the place in person and use it a couple times.

Hey Captain Grumby, is there a ladder to get back out of the water and on to the dock? If not, everyone will have to exit by the beach.

Last edited:
Okay, let's start the betting pool. I say the first tank holder will be broken within the first month. None of them will make it a year. And as for that area being reserved for divers...not likely. We'll be fighting the locals just to get to it.

I'm with Grumby. I don't think I'll be using that bench.

Anyone else?

EDIT: Actually, a few of the tank holds may be spared to hold something else.

Unfortunately, I don't think they'll support steel doubles leaning up against them for very long.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom