Morrison - Water Temps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fish Food

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
When the river water temps drop significantly lower than the spring water temps does the wall between the tanic river water and the spring water reappear, or does that only happen when the river is warmer? :idk:

I would think so...

Morrison puts out something like 24 million gallons per day. That outflow keeps most of the tanic water out unless the river levels are up to push it in.

otherwise, 24 million gallons of water a day keep the basin a constant 68f I believe.

Bugman or one of the others that dives it more often can prob give more precise information.

Last time I was there ,few weeks back there was the wall and the basin was several degrees cooler. Makes for some neat viewing perspectives when your looking at the meeting point of the two separte water temps.

The water mixes in the basin when the riverwater is colder, the flow from the cavern will usually keept he dirty water out of the cavern itself though. The river water can get into the low 50s, the spring water will stay 68F. If enough head pressure is put on the spring(read as crazy flooding), the spring will siphon riverwater into the cavern.

Morrison is very flooded right now, don't waste your time with it. There will be no ambient light.

Morrison is very flooded right now, don't waste your time with it. There will be no ambient light.

It's like you read my mind.

So, if Im reading correctly, Morrison is not divable at the 7-9ft river range in the winter like it is in the summer?

Thanks Folks

It's like you read my mind.

So, if Im reading correctly, Morrison is not divable at the 7-9ft river range in the winter like it is in the summer?

Thanks Folks

when he says it's not diveable right now.... the river gauge was at 12' today.

my understanding is that best conditions are when the gauge reads about 6' or less.

Note: This below image should update as the host site generates new ones several times a day.
carf1_hg.png

Thanks Mike - Yes, below 6ft is best, but when the river is warm Ive dove it up to 8.5ft at the Caryville reading and had great dives. Nasty up top; Just have to get below it. And, like Kevin said makes for some great views underneath.

I was hoping to dive it next weekend but if the tanic water mixes with the spring water in the basin, it's just not worth the trouble.

Correct, when the river is colder than the spring water, its worse at lower levels than during the summer. You can't get under the nasty until you hit positive flow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom