Mosquitoes and insecticide availability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gopbroek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Up to several weeks back Cozumel was going thru a semi dry spell, until the tropical depression that later formed 'Bill' developed and dumped on the island. This has created a Mosquitoe hatch that while abating is still annoying. This has then caused depletion of stocks insecticide, at least as of several days back the market shelves are empty, and have been for several weeks.
If coming down in the near future it might be a good idea to bring your own, pump, not aresole.

[-]Why not aerosol...??[/-] Never mind; see below...

Last edited:
Probably illegal to fly with and aerosol can!

Probably illegal to fly with and aerosol can!
Ok, he was talking about insecticide, not repellent which is allowed.

Pack Safe – Aerosol mosquito, insect repellent
Aerosol mosquito, insect repellent

Quantity limits: Included in, not in addition to, the quantity limits for other medicinal and toiletry articles: The total aggregate quantity per person cannot exceed 2 kg (70 ounces) or 2 L (68 fluid ounces). The capacity of each container must not exceed 0.5 kg (18 ounces) or 500 ml (17 fluid ounces).*
This exception is for repellents that are sprayed directly on a person's skin and clothing and as such are included in the exception for medicinal and toiletry articles. Insect repellents or insecticides designed to be sprayed in the air or at the insect are not included in this exception.

When you are buying insect repellant you should also pick up a tube of Allegra anti-itch cream. I am very sensitive to mosquito bites (I get big itchy welts that persist) and I have found that the Allegra cream works much better than cortisone and other products I have tried.

gopbroek, are we talking insecticide or repellent?

I would recommend that visitors NOT start applying insecticide at property they don't own without clearing it with the owner first.

Although nothing beats DEET, IMO ("Better living through chemistry"), burning an old fashioned mosquito coil on your table can do a surprisingly good job and make a dinner in the El Pique "garden" more enjoyable.

gopbroek, are we talking insecticide or repellent?

I would recommend that visitors NOT start applying insecticide at property they don't own without clearing it with the owner first.
Repellent, one of the boat Captains last week was just recovering from Dengue and the early morning / evening 'no seeums' were thick. I have a nice welt on the top of my ear lobe from yesterday morning plus a few other bites, I am attempting to treat them by internal application of ethanol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom