Most famous wreck dives in the world?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

some i have heard are good:

U-869 (U-Who)

Spigel Grove

USS Oriskany

HMS Victoria

Eagle

Duane

Bibb

Captian Dan

Yolandea

HMS Pathfinder

SMS Baden

HMS Affray

In Red Sea also Salem_Express

It's a lot wreck all around the world. See most of them here:
put List_of_shipwrecks in Wikipedia
(I can't insert links)

I'm surprised the Solomon Islands haven't been mentioned. The Guadalcanal Invasion during WWII left many wrecks in these waters. My favorite being a destroyer, the USS Aaron Ward.

Around the South Pacific, some memorable ones include:
- SS Yongala (wrecked off Townsville, Australia)
- SS President Coolidge (wrecked off Santo, Vanuatu)
- USS Saratoga (Bikini Atoll)
- the wrecks of Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands

Cheers

Des

Interesting debate on another site as to which are the most popular wreck diving sites in the world. Clearly popular (no. of divers) and famous (no. of divers who have heard of it) are not the same thing, but I was interested what the views of the SB community as to which they thought were the most famous wreck dives in the world.

I guess everyone tends to hear about famous wrecks near them, but for what it is worth, my list would be:

1. Hilma Hooker in Bonaire
2. RMS Rhone in the BVI
3. Bianca C in Grenada
4. SS President Coolidge in Vanuatu
5. USS Oriskany in Florida
6. USS Speigel Grove in Florida
7. Zenobia in Cyprus
8. Andrea Doria halfway between New York and Davey Jones locker

and, not really individual wrecks, so much as piles of wrecks (I am sure within them they have famous wrecks), I'd probably also include:

A. Scapa Flow
B. Chuuk Lagoon

I am sure there must be famous sites in Australia, South America, Africa, Great Lakes, West Coast and more in Europe that I have never heard of.

Be interested to hear what others think.

I'd have to thrown the Britannic and Lusitania in there as well even though very few people actually dive them, they are sill extremely famous. Another shipwreck that is extremely famous, especially to Great lakes divers is the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Well, if you consider the best dives (in the opinion of wreck divers), not necessarily the most popular, in fact, few can reach some of them, my guess would be:

1 - Andrea Doria (North Atlantic)
2 - Britanic (Greek Ocean)
3 - Carnatic (Red Sea)

Here in Brazil (let me do some markenting...hehe)

1 - Corveta V51 (Fernando de Noronha)
2 - CT Paraiba (Rio de Janeiro)
3 - Vapor dos 48 (Recife)

We have already registered more than 2000 shipwrecks in the Brazilian coast, the site is in portuguese, but you can have a idea in the site Naufrágio, click in the state in the map and main shipwrecks of the state will apear, not all 2000 there, but some very nice, if you click the wreck name you go to the details page.

In terms of place, Chuuk Lagoon for sure. Here in Brazil Recife and Salvador are fantastic for wreck diving.

Hi, I've been diving several times in Bombinhas. In fact I did my OWD certification there.
I've heard that the Gale island is closed to public and divers as it has been declared a sanctury or something like that. This was mentioned by the LDS Sumarine (http://www.submarinescuba.com.br/index.php) in Bombinhas, unfortunately the site does not work.
Also no one told me about the second wreck in the Macucos island. Nice to know.

Something no one has mentioned, and one of the few wrecks that engages me from a philosophical point of view, is the Monitor. That is a wreck I sometimes wistfully wish I had the skills to dive.

Of the wrecks I HAVE dived, the Thistlegorm has it, hands down. It was the first wreck I ever dove where it clicked for me, why people spend so much time, effort and money to dive wrecks. I was reading the last chapter of the story, and I had never gotten that before.

Something no one has mentioned, and one of the few wrecks that engages me from a philosophical point of view, is the Monitor. That is a wreck I sometimes wistfully wish I had the skills to dive.

Do you still need permission from the Federal Govt to dive the Monitor (not that this is likely to be a source of concern for me... just curious)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom