Most Important Accessories?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like to add a challenge to the OP's request:

For each item you recommend, also include a description (or picture) of how you secure it so you don't become the Christmas tree.

I'd like to add a challenge to the OP's request:
For each item you recommend, also include a description (or picture) of how you secure it so you don't become the Christmas tree.

I carry my dSMB and finger spool, slate and pencil, light (other than when I have multiple for cenotes), scissors, Trilobite, knife, and rescue mirror in the pockets of my BCD.

A good pocket on your thigh, I like mine glued to my wetsuit.
I like pockets, too, but I use pocket shorts. There are several brands of neoprene shorts with great pockets. That way one set of pockets can be used for different wetsuits. When I went to the Bahamas to dive both open water and caves, I needed both a light wetsuit (3mm) for the ocean and a heavy wetsuit for the caves. I was also faced with severe weight restrictions for flying. I was able to rent both, and I used my pocket shorts for both of them.

This is the model I use--there are others.

Highland Neoprene Pocket Shorts

62E6D3D8-1127-4170-9A35-EA2C1B0886FA.jpeg

This is how I carry mine. The thigh pocket for my camera. The dsmb on the rear crotch strap d-ring. The lights on the shoulder strap d-rings. The cutters on my waist belt. I have a small pocket on my waist for a dive alert that only goes on the inflator hose if I need it at the surface and anything else that needs a home like a roll up snorkel if I feel the need. Photo by @northernone

Very good advice so far. I too carry a mini-knife, EMT shears, light, slate, safety sausage, and a foldup snorkel.
For the tool kit, add a couple of lengths of surgical tubing. Whatever strap you (or a buddy) breaks, it's *always* the right size.

I agree with the others who have mentioned DSMB w/ spool and a line cutter. Also.....know how to use that DSMB without getting dragged to the surface because of the lift and the line getting tangled up in your gear.

I clip my DSMB/spool off on one of my bottom side d-rings. For the line cutter, I have it looped onto my dive computer strap. My dive buddy/partner has it on one of his webbing pieces on his BC.

My personal kit I take on every dive-
Handheld light
Trauma shears
Knife
Slate
60lb lift bag with spool (can recover artifacts or get me to the surface of my BC fails)
Signal sausage with whistle
Computer

Kit for my solo dives
AL 40 pony bottle w/reg
Shoulder knife
Reel

Kit for tech dives
2 knives
Trauma shears
Line arrows
Primary reel
Emergency reel
Primary light
Emergency light
Extra mask
2 lift bags
2 finger spools
2 computers
Jon line
Wrist slate
Dive tables

This list is by no means all inclusive, but its what I started with.

What's next that every diver should have on a dive?

Assuming you're doing easy resort / Caribbean type of diving...?

1. Compass
2. Computer
3. Safety sausage
4. Flashlight
5. Rattle
6. Whistle
7. Strobe (night dives)

What should be in the "save a dive" box?

1. Mask Strap
2. O-rings
3. Tool kit

Check Leisurepro for kits – they sell em... This list gets significantly longer if you're not on a dive boat with an operator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom