Most Important Accessories?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Blue-13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So if you were going to recommend vital accessories to a new diver, what would be on that list?

I have my "kit" including BCD, Reg set, mask, fins, snorkel, & computer.

I've added a compass on a retractor to attach to my BCD.

What's next that every diver should have on a dive?

What should be in the "save a dive" box?

The save a dive kit can be simple. A small tool kit along with some spare o-rings and perhaps a mask strap.

Above all, the most most important accessory that you can acquire is more in depth knowledge along with situational awareness, so that you understand why things are done. And, improve your skills to the point that they are second nature, especially buoyancy. I recommend these. All of the extra accessories are pointless without good knowledge and skills.

Have fun.

Every open water diver should carry a SMB.

So if you were going to recommend vital accessories to a new diver, what would be on that list?

I have my "kit" including BCD, Reg set, mask, fins, snorkel, & computer.

I've added a compass on a retractor to attach to my BCD.

What's next that every diver should have on a dive?

What should be in the "save a dive" box?

I would add a cutting tool or two to your kit - you never know if it will be required. Something like shears/trilobyte and a knife will give options depending on the situation.

Save a dive kit - mask strap, fin strap (if not spring/bungee), o-rings, spare mouthpiece, zip ties (various sizes), simple tools (O-ring pick, screwdriver, hex keys, adjustable spanner).

SMB (preferably DSMB) and the knowledge to use it safely.

Lights - you never know when you might want to look under a rock. Also becomes useful at dusk/night for signalling.

Every open water diver should carry a SMB.
I agree with @ibj40, it should be a dSMB and spool if you are drift diving or are diving in significant current and may miss the ascent line

There are many other useful accessories that most divers should have or are needed for special circumstances, noise making device (whistle or horn), cutting device(s), light(s)...

shears, trilobite, slate and dsmb. A good pocket on your thigh, I like mine glued to my wetsuit. I'll pass on the retractor.

The shears will cut larger things and later will cut the spines off of the lion fish that you may find you just started spearing. Trilobite will cut lines and flat webbing that wants to entangle you or is just littering the seabed so that you can retrieve and remove it. The slate will be used for recording your dive plan including turn pressures and times as well as communicating with your buddy, usually just a word of two. I don't use that it Cozumel but always at home. The dsmb is a must. You can't always predict when or how you will need it but you will and you need to be trained to deploy it.

I prefer pockets to retractors. I want my stuff contained and not hanging off of me as much as possible. There are multiple times when danglies are irritating, annoying or just plain dangerous.

For save a dive, the things I've used most are batteries, 0-rings, a pick and wrenches. I have also carried hoses, straps and other extras but in my short diving career I have not needed them yet. l also use a wireless air integrated spg so my SaD kit includes a brass and glass spg which I have also not needed.

Completely depends on type of diving. 30'? 100'? Current? Shore or boat?
My basic list for my most complicated dive would be:
SMB
knife/cutting tool
whistle
Dive Alert
of course shell collecting bag (only "vital" for me)

--simple shore dives & no real current, I don't take SMB or Dive Alert.

save a dive kit: O rings, spare mask for sure. Too many others to list, but many threads on this.

Last edited:
I would vote for:

dSMB
Dive Alert
Primary & backup lights
PLB eventually (if diving in open water)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom