Most versatile wetsuit wardrobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear a full 5 mm for everything, even the warmest waters and it hasn't let me down yet. For cooler waters (below 22°C or so), I add a 5/3 hooded vest.

I wear a full 5 mm for everything, even the warmest waters and it hasn't let me down yet. For cooler waters (below 22°C or so), I add a 5/3 hooded vest.

While I like to go dry for anything under say....65 degrees, I find the same versatility with a 5mil suit for any dives I'm not wearing a drysuit.

It seems to me that if you end up buying 2 or 3 wetsuits, you have paid at least as much as you would for a shell drysuit. I've seen sales that gave suit boots and undies for about $1K.

Thanks guys this is very helpful!

A drysuit becomes quite compelling when you start thinking about the wardrobe argument for wetsuits... Especially with drysuits like the fusion one retailing at only $700, plus that suit will last a hell of a lot longer than a wetsuit. Even though that wetsuit supposedly can be used all the way into tropical waters, maybe I should consider just a 3mm in that case (probably more to avoid weird looks when diving in the Caribbeans with a drysuit :wink:). The other argument that could be made is travel weight, don't have the exact numbers but the fusion drysuits I tried seemed a lot heavier and bulkier than a 3 or 5mm wetsuit.

I'm surprised some of you are getting such versatility out of a 5mm, even though it was what I was hoping for. Would you say you could use that all the way up 85F, which is where I normally switch to just a rashguard?

I've been diving from the Caribbean to my local quarries (usually 38F on the bottom).

I have a 3/2 full suit, a 7/5 full suit, and a dry suit. I also have a Lavacore Farmer John and Lavacore shirt to wear under any of that.

The 3/2 suit by itself keeps my comfy on NC wrecks down to 72 - 74F water. This weekend, I'll be diving down there and probably wearing my LC FJ under the 3/2 suit as the water is expected to be more like 70F on the bottom. The 3/2 + LC is about like having a 5mm suit, but the LC is neutrally buoyant so I don't have to change my weighting when I use it.

If things are too cool for 3/2 + LC, then I go to the 7/5. When that becomes too cool, add the LC underneath. Too cool for that and I wear my dry suit, usually with the same LC gear underneath.

I have a ScubaPro drysuit hood for use with any of that, too. I like that it has no skirt, so it doesn't tuck into my wetsuit, which means no chance of bunching up and letting more water into the suit than necessary. And it doesn't restrict me turning my head like a skirted hood would. And one hood works with all my suits. It does overlap the collar on all my suits by a bit, so my neck doesn't get cold even in my dry suit at 38F.

My LDS has a lot of good quality wetsuits on Clearance for pretty cheap. My ScubaPro EverFlex 3/2 was $160 and my SP EF 7/5 was $180, I believe. They also have LavaCore on Clearance, too. My FJ was about $100, I think. And they've had a big stock of Waterproof suits (from 3mm to 7mm) on Clearance for a while, too. WP 7mm for $207, I think. And they also have some Bare wetsuits. I think they have a 3 or 3/2 for something like $60.

The shop is:

SCUBA Diving Equipment, Training, Service, Sales | Coral Edge Adventures

But, don't trust their website for prices or availability on the Clearance stuff. Their in-store inventory database is separate from their e-store inventory database. If you're curious on prices or availability on anything, give them a call.

I dive mainly Florida (S. FL and the Keys as well as open-water diving in the springs) and the Caribbean, and I use a combination of these: 5/4 full suit, 3/2 full suit, and 3 mm hooded vest.

For warm Caribbean waters and summer in S. FL, the 3/2 is all I need for warmth and protection from abrasion/stings. In cooler seasons on sunny days, the 5/4 works well. In cooler seasons with cloudy/drizzly surface intervals, I add the hooded vest to the 5/4. For the springs, I use the 5/4 plus the hooded vest, and I still wish I had a drysuit!

I'm surprised some of you are getting such versatility out of a 5mm, even though it was what I was hoping for. Would you say you could use that all the way up 85F, which is where I normally switch to just a rashguard?

I use a 5 mil in 85 degree waters, if you start getting warm just give the neck a tug and let some water in. Better that than shivering and miserable.

The majority of my diving is in local lakes year round. Temps range from lower 80's in peak summer to upper 50's in winter. I have a 5 mil Scubapro Everflex one piece, a 3 mil Akona Quantumstretch (my favorite), and a 2 mil neosport shorty. I have used the 2 mil shorty over the 3 mil for 5 mil in the core area but greater flex in the arms and legs. I have a 5 mil Scubapro hood and a Lavacore hood which is awesome. I plan on getting a full Lavacore suit to wear under the 5 mil for the coldest conditions. I think this will cover all conditions (here in Texas) quite well.

I use a 5 mil in 85 degree waters, if you start getting warm just give the neck a tug and let some water in. Better that than shivering and miserable.
Not to mention that on a trip heat loss is cumulative. You may be fine with a 3 mil in 85 degree water the first day or two. By day 4 there's a good chance you'll be miserably cold.

Just returned from a 4 to 5 dives a day live a board trip. Water was 84 and after day 2 I was taking a warm shower between morning and afternoon dives. Had a 1 ml with a 1 ml vest and I was getting cold on the afternoon dives. Just bought the 2017 scuba pro 3 / 2 hydro flex and it appears to be saviour. Will keep the board posted. The new lining is the real deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom