Motorcycles and diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you ever ridden a trike? Whew! I know that they're really popular, but as a guy who used to ride a sidecar rig, I'll take my Goldwing and a trailer a long ways before I get on a trike....they scare the crap out of me.

I've been a biker for a few years but can't imagine wanting to go to a dive site with my dive gear strapped to the bike. The weight isn't much of an issue - a pillion passenger would weigh more - but the weather in the UK just isn't suitable - if I have my car I can change and dry off afterwards.

They are both great leisure activities but they don't combine well.

This is one of those things that comes down to personal preference. The trikes that I have ridden range from the stupidly dangerous, to very well-built touring machines. A lot depends on how it is built, and the amout of experience of the builder.
I have also taken quite a few trailer rigs for test drives, and as I say, for me, the handling characteristics scare the crap out of me.
I'm not saying anything about one being better than the other, just my preference.
:D

I would say the answer would be to get a truck. Load the bike and the dive gear in the back that way you can ride during the SI.

here's a story for you, a true one and it was not me as I have never even been on a moped or to Mexico.....

An aquaintance was in Mexico and it was a short, very short, ride from his apartment to the pier and one morning he thought he would save time and energy by riding his moped with his suit on and his twin set.

Needless to say the fron wheel went down one of those pot holes quite common in that area aparently and execusted a beautiful somersault over the handle bars.

One wrecked body, moped, wet suit, twin set and regulators later I don't think he recomends that mode of transportation for dive gear......

Saw him about 6 weeks later and he was still a mess!

saw a guy going down the highway wearing his bc and tank. Poor idea in my opinion though.

Tom

I've heard of people with larger bikes (esp. Goldwings) loading their gear onto their bikes, and have also heard of people using trailers, although I don't know anyone personally who does this.

I ride my motorcycle to the dive shop frequently, but not to dive sites, because I don't think I could safely load all the gear I need to bring onto my motorcycle. Of course I have a lot of gear due to the cold water, and my bike isn't that big (Suzuki GS500E.)

However, I have sometimes ridden my motorcycle to the pool to help with OW classes, because the tank and weights are being carried in the dive shop's truck. If I lived someplace warm, and was going to board a dive boat that already had the tanks and weights, then I'd probably do the "ride&dive" a lot!

One other thing to think about when considering riding to your dive: Diving can be very tiring, and depending on your own size/strength compared to the size/weight of the bike, it might not be advisable to ride a large motorcycle loaded down with gear when you are tired out from your diving activities.

A good mate and dive buddy of mine was riding his bike on the weekend.
Going round a corner, a gust of wind blew another biker coming from the opposite direction into his path they had a head on collision.

Anyway

5 broken vertebrates (he will never walk again)
2 broken wrists
4 broken ribs
Punctured lung
Fractured pelvis
Broken jaw
Broken leg
Ruptured pancreas
Mild brain damage

The other guy died instantley, lucky bastard

I will leave the decision to ride a motorbike up to you...

Sydney_Diver

Sorry to hear about your M8.

That risk is something every biker faces when we decide to ride.

Like all risks you make your own decision on what's acceptable and then do what you can to minimise it.

Just like diving.

Hope your M8 makes a full recovery.

Regards

Welshman once bubbled...
Hope your M8 makes a full recovery.
Regards [/B]

Well he is never going to walk again
He will piss in a bag for the rest of his life
and he will not be able to push his own wheelchair as his wrists are so bad.

So yea I guess thats a full recovery

Back
Top Bottom