Moustache Solutions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shave it. You can live without it. I had a mustache for 25 years. When I started diving last year I shaved it for the classes and have been without it ever since.

It'll grow back if you miss it.

I also found that the Sea View Ultra fits me better than anything else I've tried, but still have to shave a bit under the nose. However, with other masks I have to shave every day. With this one I can shave the day before a dive & without any more shaving it'll still seal for about a week.

There's also a guy who came up with a product to make them seal, there are posts in this forum. Several people who tried it said it works great. You may want to get a tube & try the stuff.

But the real bottom line is that the mask has to basically fit to start with or it's worthless to you.

I think this is the thread that Wayward is referring too.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=189644

I have a moustache- I don't trim it any differently for diving and I don't have a problem with leaks. I use a SP frameless mask, but I think I'm just lucky with the leaks.

Try before you loose the moustache. I have yet to have a problem - moustache and beard.

underachiever:
Shave it. You can live without it. I had a mustache for 25 years. When I started diving last year I shaved it for the classes and have been without it ever since.

It'll grow back if you miss it.

I took the same route as Underachiever. I kept my mustache for a year after first being certified. Tried alot of the suggestions, even tried a different mask with no luck. Finally before a wreck diving trip decided to end my mustaches fuzzy existence. A leak at 40 feet it a pain.. a leak at 130 is not something I wanted to deal with. Off went the mustache and I won't look back!

I have a full beard, I do not trim around the nose or upper lip and I do not have leaking issues. I have been told by numerous folks that this should not happen, the mask should leak. Most of my friends have facial hair and none of us have issues. So give it a try. If it doesn't work then trim or lube up. Get a good fitting mask and you will be fine.

I recently tried the Atomic Frameless mask, and while my XVision fit well, this mask fits me better than any I've tried to date, and I've tried several. I know it fits great because I got mask squeeze for the first time, so it really seals well.

I was the one that started THIS thread about the Mask sealant. It really does work, and I recommend you try this cheap alternative product prior to rushing out and getting a new mask unless you have other reasons for a new mask.

RonFrank:
I was the one that started THIS thread about the Mask sealant. It really does work, and I recommend you try this cheap alternative product prior to rushing out and getting a new mask unless you have other reasons for a new mask.
Hey... what are you trying to do? Kill our excuses for running out and buying more STUFF??

I dove a TUSA Liberator for years and it didn't really leak very much. I've had my caterpiller for longer than I've had the mask, so the mustach stays and I work around it.

My newer mask is a Sherwood Titan. Really nice visability, but it tends to leak about 60% of the time. Sucks.

My brand new Kerby Morgan M48 doesn't leak at all.

Back
Top Bottom