Moustache Solutions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A mask that's notorious for not leaking for mustachioed folks is the Picasso Victoria:
victoriamask.jpg

It's got a nice retro look to it too. :D

Back in '96, when I first started diving, I had a huge mustache. Never trimmed it; it was so long it went completely over my mouth. I wish I could find some pictures. Never had a problem with the mask leaking. Not that it never leaked at all, just that it wasn't a problem big enough to worry about.

If you can try your mask in a pool before you buy it, by all means do it. You may find that you don't have to do anything special.

I've never been on a boat where someone applied Trident Mustache Wax/Mask Seal before they geared up, but there's still hope.

Silicon grease and a TUSA Hyperdry Imprex w/purge maks has workd great for me for 20 years or so.

Just don't use vaseline it'll damage the silicon in the mask.

I try to maintain equalization in my mask and don't have a problem even with a handlebar moustache and SP frameless. This thing's too long to shave off!

I made the mistake of trimming my mustache shorter than usual before my recent trip to HI.

The mask that has been sealing perfectly (no grease) over my medium-lenght 'stache was leaking like crazy until I did the silicone grease trick. It's almost grown out to its usual length, and I just checked tonight and the mask is already sealing better.

This was a very big surprise to me, so I thought I would mention it. Anyone else see the same results?

Did my OW+AOW course while having a moustache, not a huge moustache but defintaly something that potentialy might have caused a problem, nevertheless I was a clean sail... and it was a used Mares Freedom mask

Back
Top Bottom