Moustaches & Masks...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goop brand adhesive. Silicone is for wimps.

It looks kind of funny, but it never leaks and because I dive cold water a lot more often, I stay warmer.

m48.jpg

Kirby Morgan M48 Supermask

Info here: Kirby Morgan Dive Systems

I lose the seal and get massive leaks with even a 2-3 day stubble, but see others diving all the time with massive stache's....

I must trim a little off my mustache immediately below the nose. Otherwise I get a continual annoying leak. I use electric clippers, then shave the area. One of the razors with the two blade system fits just right. Looks perfectly normal when it's done, because the mustache is then the same width all the way across the upper lip.

You don't have to have, "a pencil thin mustache, the Boston Blackie kind." -Jimmy Buffet

I don't know about putting petrolatum (Vaseline) there. I'd worry about it deteriorating the skirt material. And who want that greasy mess smeared all over their lip. If you don't watch where you are putting your fingers you could get some of it on the glass and create a mess that won't clean off very easily in the field. Get some on your neoprene and it's not good for it either.

Since most current model silicone masks have very pliable skirts, to me it seems that there's a perfectly dry mask out there for everyone, if they'll just find it. For the relatively low cost of a good mask if you look online, and the ease of reselling one here, or trying some out if you have a good LDS, find the right mask! I've had the 'stache and beard for 30 years, and find that a mask that fits well, and a smoothly shaved strip under my nose, means I'm bone dry every dive, actually drier than when I smeared goop under my nose. For what it's worth, I dive a Mares X-Vision, not the fancy Liquid Skin version.

It took a while, but I too found a mask that seals properly. I shave a thin strip under my nose and never have a leak. By coincidence, my mask is a Mares too, a Zero-9 that I've had for about 6 years.

I have a full beard and 'stache and have never had much trouble getting a good seal. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I figure if you keep trying different masks, you'll find one that doesn't leak for you.

Ditto to the idea of finding the right mask...I have over 200 dives with no problems...keep trying to get a good seal on mask as you inhale them onto your face without straps in the LDS...good luck.

Does anyone have any tips/suggestions for leakage into my mask caused by moustache hair? Please don't suggest whacking the thing off. I have tried trimming a stripe below my nose. That seemed to help some but I'm still looking for wisdom from the hirsuite divers on this site. :mr_t:

If I trim the small strip below the nose, I do fine, no leaks. If I don't trim it, I have to clear the mask periodically. No big deal.

Ken

Remember it is a water sport :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom