Mouthpiece cuts inside upper lip...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are using primary donate there can be an issue with gagging for the recipient with this type of mouthpiece especially if it is long. Obviously not a problem with alternate donate.
I’ve donated my primary before without any problems. The other diver looked a little bewildered at first but no choking or gagging.

I’ve donated my primary before without any problems. The other diver looked a little bewildered at first but no choking or gagging.
It can be an issue when the bite piece is long, best to have your buddy try it beforehand.

We actually had a discussion about this here a while back. The long bite wings are awful for me. I have an extremely strong gag reflex. Dentist visits are miserable. I use the Comfobite mouthpiece as it’s the only one that doesn’t make me gag. Someone offered me their single tank rig to try in a pool a few years back. The reg had one of the custom molded mouthpieces. I tried it and immediately started gagging something awful. I rejected the offer of using the gear.

To me, mouthpieces are like masks to some degree-- Highly personal in terms of fit, comfort, etc.

My first regs had an Aqualung Comfo-bite mouthpiece. I hated it. If my jaw was kept slack, the weight of the reg pulled the reg down and pushed the top of the mouthpiece up so that it rubbed annoyingy on my palate just behind my upper incisors. I gave it a few dives, but got rid of it as there was just no way that I could get comfortable with it. I know lots of people that swear by them though.

I have found that I prefer a mouthpiecs with longer bite bite wings. To others, these are just as (or more) uncomfortable as I found the Comfo-bite. Just in a different way.

I have loved my Sea-Cure moldable mouthpieces for a long time now. Sea-Cure does have the option of trimming off some of the wings prior to molding to give a much shorter bite wing. We had to do this for my daughter's reg set.

Same advice for mouthpieces as for masks-- find the one that works for you and are comfortable with. Be prepared to potentially try a few. Thankfully, there are fewer mouthpieces to have to cycle through than masks.

The bridge on the CB ones now irritates the roof of my mouth for some reason, physical decay I guess. I cut the bridge off. Still like them post surgery. I find the SP ones uncomfortable.

To me, mouthpieces are like masks to some degree-- Highly personal in terms of fit, comfort, etc.

My first regs had an Aqualung Comfo-bite mouthpiece. I hated it. If my jaw was kept slack, the weight of the reg pulled the reg down and pushed the top of the mouthpiece up so that it rubbed annoyingy on my palate just behind my upper incisors. I gave it a few dives, but got rid of it as there was just no way that I could get comfortable with it. I know lots of people that swear by them though.

I have found that I prefer a mouthpiecs with longer bite bite wings. To others, these are just as (or more) uncomfortable as I found the Comfo-bite. Just in a different way.

I have loved my Sea-Cure moldable mouthpieces for a long time now. Sea-Cure does have the option of trimming off some of the wings prior to molding to give a much shorter bite wing. We had to do this for my daughter's reg set.

Same advice for mouthpieces as for masks-- find the one that works for you and are comfortable with. Be prepared to potentially try a few. Thankfully, there are fewer mouthpieces to have to cycle through than masks.

And the cycling is much much cheaper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom