Move to Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drvngcrzy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been thinking about going into law enforcement after I graduate in August this summer and I have been considering moving somewhere in Florida. Can anyone help me with the cost of living? I understand it varies throughout the state, but I don't have a preference. Whatever area is the best economically for a cop to survive I guess.

I make about 38k while still in school in Ohio and live fine, vacation where and when I want. How much is needed to have a decent sized condo or house in Florida? Seems most police depts only make mid 30's throughout the state. Is that enough or will I struggle with such low pay?

Any other info would be great.

Thanks!

Yes you will; its not enough for South FL, even with the cost of housing down state wide. OTOH, police dept's pay more than that in the SE part of the state. But while you may be able to find a lot of good choices in Ohio for under 100k, you will not down here, even in todays market.

If you use the formula of not paying more than 2.5 times income for your house, assuming a rough starting salary of 40k, that gives you a home cost of +/-100k - with the exception of a few condo's you will not buy much down here with that; plus the other costs of living. So unless you have a huge downpayment, or another income (spouse), the SE part of the state does not look like a good choice for you at this time, unless you choose to rent (figure $650 - 1000 per month).

Others may provide info about their respective parts of the state.

The simplest rule of thumb I can give you is also the one that may upset you the most... For the most part, the more inland (further from the coast lines) the cheaper your COL will be. There are certainly exceptions but it's a good starting point. I would suggest you first decide why you are getting into Law Enforcement. If you want serious action, access to the coolest toys, and a lot of possiblities for experience you can't beat South Florida but there also many downfalls that go with that as well. If you are more the type of person who wants to be the community cop, a smaller town inland may be for you. That is not to imply there are no community oriented LEO's in South Florida or other large Florida cities. You also need to keep in mind how you are going to become a certified LEO in Florida. That will also play into your decision. FHP for example has an academy (or at least at one point did, I can't imagine this has changed) they will send you to for free and pay you to attend, but the downside is they will stick you where they want like the military does. I think FWC is the same but I'm not positive. Many agencies do not have the budget to pay for your training or pay you during training, so to get with them, you are basically putting yourself through school. As far as I know, you cannot get enrolled at any Community College Police Academies until an agency offers you employment, but I may be wrong on that. I guess the bottom line is that I think you need to start with your career goals and work from there. It may also help you to post a thread titled something to the effect of "Want to become certified LEO in Florida". That may attract info from SB members who are currently LEO's that will be the most qualified to help you with that part of your search and planning. Good luck!

Your cost of living will be higher and your pay will be lower... If you are looking to go to LEO training while being paid you'd probably have to go state LE; which starts at 34-35. You could go to CO training at a local sheriff dept and many of them start around 37-38. You wouldn't be ay check to pay check, but it is difficult to get ahead on this kind of income. Keep in mind the state does not often give raises.

The short answer is: No more expensive SCUBA for you...

Im sure there are many LEOs in south FL that dive even though they dont make a million. You can too.
If you want it bad enough you will find a way to make it happen. I agree with other posts that you wont be making a ton of money, but you will be in "paradise".

With that being said, I have a dive buddy that went through "police academy" and then couldnt find an acceptable job ANYWHERE (I dont really know what he was looking for). He abandoned his search and joined the Airforce.

Good Luck!

I could be wrong, but I know in SW Florida there aint a lot of hiring for jobs such as teachers and firemen although I am not so sure about law enforcement. Budgets are being slashed, pay raises frozen or abandoned, and jobs being cut. People are leaving here in droves as there simply is no work and revenue from property taxes and tourism is vanishing.

If I were you I would spend tons of time doing research before moving here right now. Few places have taken a bigger beating economically than South Florida the last three years.

That being said, I love living here. Good luck in your search.

The city of Coral Springs is offering a $3,000 bonus to new hires after they complete their probation; after 5 years, with the shift differentials and OT, you'll make $80,000. Starting pay is $48K.
It's an insular department and not part of the Florida retirement system so once you're in, you can't migrate your retirement accruals if you later decide that you really want to serve in Palatka, Rattlesnake, Old Venus, Fivay or other sundry and assorted Florida towns.
As in any other southeastern Florida area, Spanish language skills help. but Kreyol skills would jump right off an employment application.
Next time I'm over in SW Florida, I'll keep an eye out for those droves heading north. Sounds like it could be trouble.
Good luck with this.

I'll weigh in, I have a couple family members in law enforcement in Broward (both Dive as well).

With the down housing market, you can purchase a house in the $120,000 range - and decent 2 bedroom condos are in the $50 - $60k range. So if you are planning on moving down here and buying something, now is probably the time to do it. On a starting LEO salary of $40-$50k - you will be just fine on your own. Add in a working significant other and you'll really be fine.

OMG define "decent"...you DO mean in the 'hood, right? I haven't seen a house I would let my dogs live in for less than $200K in Broward in YEARS. Do tell us where these bargain homes are!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom