Movie Review: The Guardian

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marshallkarp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I went to see The Guardian last night. Very good movie, very entertaining. There are all sorts of movies about the other branches of the military (God bless them), but the Coast Guard seems to just quietly do their jobs under the radar. The movie is about a seasoned rescue swimmer veteran (Kevin Costner) who through unforturnate circumstances, is temporarily reassigned to Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer Training School. In his class is a new recruit (Ashton Kutcher), who the wily veteran breaks downs and rebuilds him in his image.

It was interesting to see the training methods used by rescue swimmers (wonder if this is real or Hollywood), makes my recreational dive training look like a walk in the park. Costner does his usual solid character acting and say what you want about Kutcher, he did a good job in this movie. Clancy Brown doesn't have much screen time, but is good at no matter what part he plays. The movie ran the emotional roller coaster of laughs, tears, and on the edge of your seat excitement.

My wife is a non-diver, but she really liked it. After a summer full of movies that did not live up to expectations, this is the best movie that we have seen and enjoyed in a long time.

So, I recommend The Guardian, well worth the money for a date or just something to do for an evening out. ***

excited moviegoer:
It was interesting to see the training methods used by rescue swimmers (wonder if this is real or Hollywood), makes my recreational dive training look like a walk in the park.

It's the guy that's boinking Dome More fer crissakes, of course it's real. And look, the other guy has gills. I seen it in WadderWoild.

The USCG recruiting offices will be open 24/7 for the next two weeks. Too bad we're not dunking Astronauts in the briny. Now there's a story.

Let the threads begin!

Interesting. I am going to see it with the wife tomorrow. I have not been to the movies in a long time.

I am looking forward to a good movie and some :popcorn: .

TOM

Its gotta be a great movie cuz the critics BOMBED it! Of course if it has action , aventure and is fun the critics always hate if for no significant social value. What ever happened to it just being entertaining?

If you like action, cliches, and predictable endings, this movie is for you.

If you want to see a GOOD movie about the Coasties rent The Perfect Storm. A true adventure story without the veteran/recruit conflict and the other cliche military standards marched out for The Guardian. I really wanted this to be good. It's a shame but it's only worth renting IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom