Movie Review: The Guardian

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool thanks for the review. I was going to see it anyway. Those coasties do a great Job, they don't get their share of movies etc...

Yes, first movie about the USCG in over 50 years (other than bit parts). I liked it a lot, but then again I am biased.

Predictable plot, yes, but the subject matter is unusual enough. Pretty good acting and believeable special effects (not like the cartoonlike ones in Perfect Storm).

it's too bad Kevin Costner hasn't picked a decent script since Tin Cup

hmmm.... actually, i take that back ... Thirteen Days was good, if sort of ... blah...

I saw previews for this movie early this summer and planned right then and there to see it when it opened. I LIKED it, and yes I'm partial...I'm a Coastie vet. Yes, it brought back good memories and made me proud to see my service in a favorable light. Yep....the USCG was in New Orleans 20 minutes after Katrina vacated.....

Finally a movie that plays up the USCG role, usually the "forgotten service". hooRAH!!! for Mr. Costner!

I sat through the credits to see what duty stations were used and was happy to see that the "A" school staff was played by actual active duty ASM's. Gotta love it. So yes, I think it was pretty true to form. The cranking? how I remember being cranked when I was in basic...went pretty much the way it did in the movie.

Yes, I'm proud to be a "puddle pirate" and a "shallow water sailor" vet.

Other movies I recall with heavy Coastie presence.....

Overboard with Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn

Yours, Mine and Ours with Dennis Quaid and whatshername...the redhead

Perfect Storm with George Clooney

Here's a link you may find interesting......the cave rescue scene in the movie has some truth in it.

Read on.......

http://www.uscg.mil/history/USCG_Rescue_Swimmer_History.html

Diver Lori,

Proud puddle pirate here too. I liked the HITRON helos depected in "Bad Boys II," that was a pretty neat representation of the LE side. I saw a cutter in the preview for the new Denzel Washington movie, "Deja Vu," as well. We'll see.

CrawfishDiver:
Most of the Movie was Filmed in Shreveport Louisana cant wait to see how it turns out
I was wondering where the heck they got Abita beer up in Alaska, until I learned that. (First scene in a bar, dude on the right)

mthirsc:
Diver Lori,

Proud puddle pirate here too. I liked the HITRON helos depected in "Bad Boys II," that was a pretty neat representation of the LE side. I saw a cutter in the preview for the new Denzel Washington movie, "Deja Vu," as well. We'll see.

I remember when the phrase was "You have to go out. You don't have to come back!"

Station Ocracoke 1983-1985
USCGC Ingham 1985-1987
Station Annapolis 1997-1990
PSU 305 1999-2005

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom