Moving Doubles Around Safely

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear:
My back has been seriously messed up for about 4 1/2 years now.

To lift the doubles, I get into the harness, roll up onto my hands and knees, then stand up. I *can* squat down and lift them by the valve on one tank and the bottom of the oposite tank, but the getting into the harness method has proved more reliable for not causing the constant pain I already have to get even worse.

That's how I usually do it. Fill stations with benches are nice and in Florida (Bill R's) we just pull in the drive and fill them while they sit in the truck.

If I have to lift them without the harness I use 2 people if possible and if not I grab a tank neck in one hand and the bottom the the sane tank in the other (so the tanks are horizontal and lift with my legs holding the tanks close to my body. That lets me get them high enough to get them onto most tables or benches.

Wearing them is the easiest way to move them but watch it on hills, stairs, slippery surfaces or climbing in and out of boats because falling with the doubles on could be bad news.

Rick Inman:
Good stuff, all. Thanks. Sounds like not lifting them as much as possible is really the key. Wear 'em to move 'em. Use a cart. Use a bench.

I don't know about that Jump-shrug exercise, Tavi. Scary (was that George III in the picture? eyebrow ).

I won't be doing any jump-shrugs. They look like an easy way to get hurt!!
I was looking around the rest of the website, and thought there was some good stuff there.

I am not a young stud and I do plent of shore diving in doubles. I tend to wear them as much as possible when moving. I personally believe the inconvenience of removing the boots a possible problems with that is far out weighed by the inconvenience of havimg them fall over having to lay them down on the boat and having to balance them on the back of my car. It's easier just to pull the boots every couple of months and check for corrosion.

When I first got mine double 120's I used pick them up and carry them by lifting with one arm on the bottom of one tank and rapping the other around like a hug. This worked until I pinched a nerve in my elbow causing my left forarm and hand to go numb not good news after a dive. I thought I was bent. The key is stretch and move slowly. When entering the water on a shore dive always have your reg in your mouth and have your Bcd inflated this way if fall you will not turtle etc.

I specifically work out a lot to keep my back in condition. I'd have died years ago not doing this. Twin E8-130's are just awkward for me to lug around but not that heavy.

My buddy fashioned a handle out of square metal tubing and a screw on screen door handle. He purchased a length of square metal hollow tubing and a screen door handle from Home Depot. Drill two holes in the tubing exactly where your bolts are and attach the screendoor handle to the bottom. To cushion the screendoor handle just pad it with a section of bicycle innertube. Putting the screen door handle at the bottom of the overall handle will put most of the weight there on lifting (protecting the manifold). Attach to doubles just as you would attach your backplate. To lift, grab door handle and the manifold and move from place to place with a sure grip.

As far as moving from tailgate to floor....I don't. In my garage I have an old TV cart on casters. It's fairly sturdy and my 95's fit on it quite nicely....I move the doubles around my garage as needed. When loading to my truck I just roll up to the tailgate and the TV cart has the doubles at a height I can manage and not bend. Grab screendoor handle and manifold and lift into truck.

Kevrumbo:
Thanks for the link, Kevrumbo. exrx is a valuable web site for me.

But I question the wisdom of the jump shrug exercises you point to. I think they would tend to create back problems or aggravate exisiting ones. On the lift and jump there's a risk of straining the lower back, and on the landing, there's compression of the vertebrae beyond that caused by the weight alone, plus added stress on the knees and ankles! Scary stuff! I'd want an orthopedic doctor's recommendation before considering about these....

My primary motivator for working out is diving. I only lift the tanks straight up and down and seldom from the floor up. Usually from the back of the truck, bench, etc. I use a trolly whenever possible. Now and then I will carry them from the bottom if I have no other option.

I never use doubles for shore dives. Only a backward roll or giant stride for those things.

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom