Moving Doubles Around Safely

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigTuna:
Thanks for the link, Kevrumbo. exrx is a valuable web site for me.

But I question the wisdom of the jump shrug exercises you point to. I think they would tend to create back problems or aggravate exisiting ones. On the lift and jump there's a risk of straining the lower back, and on the landing, there's compression of the vertebrae beyond that caused by the weight alone, plus added stress on the knees and ankles! Scary stuff! I'd want an orthopedic doctor's recommendation before considering about these....
Been doing these for over twenty years since college: no back problems yet! All your power for the lift is comes from the legs: the back has nothing to do with it (if done correctly!). The shoulder shrug at the end takes the momentum of the tanks (generated & applied to by your legs) and gives you just enough vertical clearance to lift over the tailgate/bumper. Then just lay 'em down and slide them into the bed of your truck. Whatever method you lift with, use good body mechanics: Use your legs ("bend your knees, lift with ease"); square up to the load, apply your force evenly and symmetrically; and keep the load as close to your body as possible. . .

wow with that gadget who needs a dive slave ... we'll just back Rick Inman's pickup down the pier ... he can don everything while sitting on the gate, then lower himself with a remote into the water :)

Rick Inman:
(Young studs need not reply. eyebrow)

Well...for the time being I'm still using the young stud technique. What most people around here do is use a dolly (2 wheel hand-truck or whatever you call it locally). I find carrying them on my back works best.

As for lifting.... you have a buddy, right?

R..

Don't put the tanks down. if you're only concern is moving the tanks from the truck into the garage and back into the truck get a cart not a dolly. The cart I have has an upper shelf and a lower. Tanks on top, rest of gear on bottom. Have you considered independant doubles? With the right set up you can move the tanks one at a time.

MaxBottomtime:
Bend your knees and lift with ease. It helps.
Ditto. Squat, don't stoop. Bend your knees, not your back and lift with your legs. Know and accept your limits.

Of course, a handtruck and/or personal sherpa are nice, too. :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom