Moving South

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boomer7:
We are arriving this coming friday. So after a week or so of putting dishes away and hanging pictures I will be ready to dive the following weekend. I believe it is the 30th or 31st. I am looking to go to rock divers. Let me know if you will be around.
Brian

Brian,
I can't make it that weekend, but would be up for it the following weekend on Saturday, 8/6.

If interested let me know.

mike_s:
There's also one other quarry around outside Moulton, AL (about 1 hr from HSV). It's been "re-opened" by a group of divers trying to open a new dive store in Center Star AL (which is so small that it doesn't even have a stop light). They don't have a website, but it's yet another quarry to dive around here. To find this shop, go to the dealer search on Oceanic's dealer page. http://www.buyoceanic.com/location-dealer-OC116.aspx . You can call the numbe listed to find out more about the quarry and what weekends they may be open. BTW, make sure you take you own tanks there as they have NO facilities there. As for their shop, I don't think it has ever actually opened.\

I called them today and found out that they are open on Saturday from 8-6 and Sunday from 12-6. It is $15 to get in. I think I will be getting there once I get settled.
Thanks,
Brian

Boomer7:
I called them today and found out that they are open on Saturday from 8-6 and Sunday from 12-6. It is $15 to get in. I think I will be getting there once I get settled.
Thanks,
Brian

The last time I was there (5+ years ago since it just re-opened), there was an
about 25 foot sailboat with mast and sail up, some other junk, and a large
Trailways style bus that was "sorta" swimable through.

Did they ever get their shop open?

ISPY:
Brian,
I can't make it that weekend, but would be up for it the following weekend on Saturday, 8/6.

I will have to let you know after this weekend. I don't see why not.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Doesn't that quarry get super deep, like 250'?

No... the Moulton quarry is shallow. From what I remember from 5 years ago,
it was maybe 35 to 40 feet average depth with I think the section
where the bus was being slightly deeper. I can't remember for sure, but I
don't remember it being more than 50 feet max feet.

I think that Glencoe is pretty deep. According to their website they are 150ft though. Bluewater is deep spots also, but I don't think it's anywhere near 250ft. Bluewater doesnt' have much info about the quarry itself on its website.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Doesn't that quarry get super deep, like 250'?
The guy i spokwith said it was 65ft at the deepest part.
Brian

ISPY:
Brian,

Sounds like a good idea to me. Hit me up closer to the 6th and hopefully I can make it out there.

Matt

Diveland goes down to 130', at least that is the deepest spot I saw a few weeks ago. There may be a small whole I didnt see, but the Vis was great.. 50 ft or maybe slightly more below the thermocline. At depth the temp was 57 so a 7 mil, dry suit, hood and good glove are definately nessesary. I like this spot as it is not very crowded the days I have been there.

Hoss

Back
Top Bottom