Moving to Colorado!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasully

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In a crazy twist of fate due in no small part to the crappy economy, we're moving to Colorado (either Boulder or Ft. Collins area) later this summer. My inner- hippie is shrieking with joy! :lotsalove:

I'm currently heading to Utila next week for 2 months to do my DM/IDC, and I'm hoping folks can recommend good dive shops in those areas where I can hang out and learn all about the joys of freshwater diving. I'd also be interested in volunteer/slaving for cheap wages to gain some experience as a DM. If any LDS folks have any needs for anything that a newly trained but hard working and uber-enthusiastic grunt can do, please let me know. :)

I'm currently in Alaska, so living in Colorado will be a huge change for me. I hear you have snow, but it doesn't get too cold or dark all day. Weird! I teach at University of Alaska, but I'm teaching 100% online and I've decided ENOUGH OF WINTER! We haven't decided on which town yet; what I find out about the local diving will influence my decision greatly. Actually, the place where we can find a house to rent with our 3 dogs will be the final winner. :rofl3:

Thanks for your help!

In a crazy twist of fate due in no small part to the crappy economy, we're moving to Colorado (either Boulder or Ft. Collins area) later this summer. My inner- hippie is shrieking with joy! :lotsalove:

I'm currently heading to Utila next week for 2 months to do my DM/IDC, and I'm hoping folks can recommend good dive shops in those areas where I can hang out and learn all about the joys of freshwater diving. I'd also be interested in volunteer/slaving for cheap wages to gain some experience as a DM. If any LDS folks have any needs for anything that a newly trained but hard working and uber-enthusiastic grunt can do, please let me know. :)

I'm currently in Alaska, so living in Colorado will be a huge change for me. I hear you have snow, but it doesn't get too cold or dark all day. Weird! I teach at University of Alaska, but I'm teaching 100% online and I've decided ENOUGH OF WINTER! We haven't decided on which town yet; what I find out about the local diving will influence my decision greatly. Actually, the place where we can find a house to rent with our 3 dogs will be the final winner. :rofl3:

Thanks for your help!

Well, it will be a big change in some respects! But you will find that there isn't really any diving in wintertime in Colorado. There are LOTS and lots of divers, but they dive in Santa Rosa, NM or take a flight to Cozumel to dive. :wink:

You will find that there are many dive shops to choose from and work with but since you are looking at doing your DM/IDC elsewhere you may have a hard time getting your foot in the door. We found most of the dive shops want you to do your training with them in order to become "staff".

robin:D

If you choose the Boulder area, I would of course recommend the one with which I work, Ocean First Divers. It is a PADI Instructor Development center, so it has a lot of experience taking people through the IE.

As for your interest in slaving as a DM, there is both a problem and an opportunity. OFD does not use DM's in its instructional process--you have to be at least an AI in order to work with instruction there.

So much for the problem. Here's the opportunity.

The shop's instructional staff is very stable, at least in terms of staying with the organization. (I will leave an evaluation of mental stability to others.) Because of that, it has a lot of instructors and very few AI's on the staff; in fact, I believe that by the time you move here, there will be no AI's because of a summer IE. (There is a retail employee who is a new DM and on the way to AI; she may get there by then.) As a result, when an assistant is needed for a class, or when someone is needed to teach the basic classes (like Discover Scuba, Scuba Review, etc.), a full instructor is used. Since an assistant is used any time a class has more than 4 students, that means instructors are working in roles usually assigned to DM's or AI's. Since AI's get paid less than instructors, I assume management would prefer to assign AI's to those roles. (That's a guess--I am not a regular employee, let alone part of management.)

OFD has a pool on the premises, so the tanks and instructional gear are a couple of feet from the pool. Back in my DM days I worked briefly for another shop in the area, one that used a regular swimming pool in a nearby recreation center. When your DM duties include getting all the tanks and gear into the van, driving it to the recreation center, carrying it across the parking lot and into the pool area, and then reversing all that after the class, you will greatly appreciate the difference.

Robin's analysis of the Colorado winter diving situation is right on target. Once things start to warm up enough, some divers start messing around locally. Many Denver/Boulder area shops do little of that. In the past, OFD did not do much of that, either. That has changed, and it has a core of hearty souls who venture out locally (including me). It carries Whites dry suits and teaches both dry suit diving and technical diving.

I forgot to mention, I have lots of videos on Blue Hole here:

http://www.vimeo.com/album/20416
this is where everyone (well, almost everyone) in Colorado and New Mexico dive without getting on a plane.

the lovely Blue Hole!
our photos: BLUE HOLE Photos

I forgot to mention, I have lots of videos on Blue Hole here:

http://www.vimeo.com/album/20416
this is where everyone (well, almost everyone) in Colorado and New Mexico dive without getting on a plane.

the lovely Blue Hole!
our photos: BLUE HOLE Photos

We Coloradoans are a group more inclined to diversity than your post suggests. How can you so lightly dismiss the joys of scenic Aurora Reservoir or the subtle beauty of Chatfield Reservoir? BY Mid summer, Jefferson Lake water is well into the high 30's, and it's only at 10,000 feet! As I type a group of Coloradoans are e'en now exploring the waters in the sand pits of Nebraska. Even when I am in Santa Rosa and getting my tanks filled by Stella at the Blue Hole, I am mostly diving another spot not far away.

So, there are many more sites that do not require flight, ...

but, I guess I have to admit that you are a lot closer to being accurate than I would like to admit.:wink:

Unfortunately, I have done a few dives at Aurora and Chatfield.... when we lived in Colorado. :shocked2:
I guess if we lived in Denver area we would dive Aurora now and then. But from what I have found, most Denverites hop on a plane to go diving. With the direct flights to Coz, it seems to be their #1 choice.
Personally, my favorite US dive destination is California. It is a 12 hour drive for us from ABQ to LA coast. And the diving is amazing!

robin:D

I guess if we lived in Denver area we would dive Aurora now and then. But from what I have found, most Denverites hop on a plane to go diving. With the direct flights to Coz, it seems to be their #1 choice.

I may suggest to the state legislature that they make Cozumel a Colorado state park.

In a crazy twist of fate due in no small part to the crappy economy, we're moving to Colorado (either Boulder or Ft. Collins area) later this summer. :rofl3:

Thanks for your help!

When I was out there, Colorado had the third highest number of divers per capita right behind Florida & California. I always assumed it was because of the higher disposable income and the general trend towards outdoor lifestyles. You'll be in good company. Unfortunately, as mentioned above, there isn't much in the way of local diving. My choice was driving to Cave Country in North Florida every few months which is a 2 day drive if you really push it. I finally got tired of the drive and just moved here. :)

My dive buddy and I frequent the Colorado Mud Holes as long as there isn't ice (and sometime when there is)...I'm going to guess if you've been diving in Alaska you probably have a pretty serious exposure setup. Get a hold of me or Mpscubatoytech sometime.

Also, we occassionally do some altitude diving...

Regards,

-S

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom