Moving to DSLR - Why Olympus vs Nikon or Canon - Do you have an opinion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nikon or Canon are currently the way to go. As mentioned earlier, Oly announced they won't release any new mid-range DSLRs, but unmentioned was they said they'll be able to do pretty much everything they can with a mid-range DSLR in future micro 4/3rds models. Rumors came out in the last couple days ago that the E-pl2 will be hitting in February, with a preview at CES in 5-6 days. If they eliminate the shutter delay in this model change, it could be a good option for people moving up from point and shoots to better cameras with interchangeable lenses who aren't looking at a 3-4K system.

There's a thread in the Nikon forum that talks about this that might be useful.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/nikon-niche/363316-dslr-nikon-vs-canon-do-you-have-opinion.html

I'll repost what I said as well:

I am a nikon user, first off, but I will offer my views on what is important to me in choosing a system.

First - the lenses! Generally far more important in creating quality images than the camera body, though the photographer trumps both. But if we're talking strictly hardware, having the right piece of glass can make all the difference in the world. I've been a Nikon shooter for over 30 years and love the glass, so the choice for me was not difficult.

Second - ergonomics. As a diver, you should know that doing ANYTHING underwater is usually an order of magnitude more difficult than doing the same thing on land. The ergonomics of the body should suit you so that you can operate the primary controls with the least difficulty. Once you get into the realm of UW dSLR shooting, putting it in "P" mode and firing at will does not cut it anymore. I am constantly adjusting the shutter, aperature, and ISO (to a lesser extent than the others) on the fly, especially when shooting macro. It is critical that I be able to do this with ease. Any camera body that requires me to press more than one button or control at the same time was out for me.

Third - available housings. Again, tying in with ergonomics, the same concerns as with the camera body applies. It must be easy to operate underwater. Make sure you have a choice of housing manufacturers to choose from - don't settle on something that you're not fully comfortable with.

As for the rest, the sensor quality, and other features of any body you might want to consider, sure they may be important, but for me, these were relatively minor considerations. A good photographer can take a relatively "cheap" body and make awesome shots given the right choices of lenses.

My $0.02.

Thank you all for your input. It is greatly appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom