Moving to Everett area in June!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DMJulie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay, Washington divers where is the place to dive?
Who to dive with?
Dive shops?
What kind of diving...shore/boat?
Water temp?

I am moving to Everett area this June and need to get back in the water. This Hawaii diver is ready to brave the cold water.

There's lots of shore and boat dives to do in the more immediate Puget Sound area, plus lots of stuff not too far away in the San Juans or in Canada off Vancouver Island. theperfectdive.com has a nifty tool that lets you search for dive sites by criteria. "151 Dives in the Protected Waters of Washington State And British Columbia" is a book that focuses on dives in the general area of Puget Sound/Vancouver Island too. Seattle Public Library has copies so other local libraries may as well if you don't want to buy it.

There are lots of dive shops around. Off the top of my head in the general Everett area is Evergreen Diving Service in Everett, Underwater Sports in Everett, Lighthouse in Lynnwood, Northwest Sports Divers in Lynnwood, almost certainly others I'm forgetting. Plus, there's many others in and around Seattle and Tacoma further south. As for who to dive with, there are various people around this board and also on nwdiveclub.com.

Regarding water temperature, 45F to 55F depending on time of year and how close you are to the coast. Definitely heavy wetsuit or drysuit territory.

Welcome to the PNW, Julie! The good news is that, once you get exposure protection sorted out, Puget Sound is a fantastic place to be a diver. The protected nature of the water means we have VERY few days of being weathered out, and the cold water nurtures an amazing variety of life.

To answer your specific questions:

Okay, Washington divers where is the place to dive? From Everett, I think your closest shore dives are the two at Mukilteo (probably a half hour or so driving time?) There is a group that shore dives every Monday night there, which would be a good group to hook up with. You can find the "MMM" (Monday Mukilteo Madness) dives on Northwest Dive Club • Index page. For boat diving, the Aluminator charter sometimes goes out of Everett, I think; there are some nice boat dives not far from the Everett marina. And if you drive up to Anacortes (about an hour) there are charters going out of there into the San Juans every weekend.

Who to dive with? Finding dive buddies here shouldn't be a problem. The site I mentioned above is a great one for finding buddies. The Emerald Sea Dive Club is based in Edmonds, and the Kelp Krawlers, I think, are in Everett (although their website is currently down, so I can't check). In addition, most of our dive shops run shop dives from time to time, and I would imagine the Everett Underwater Sports and Evergreen shops are no exception. And there is always posting here on SB! There are a lot of Seattle-area divers here.

Dive shops? You've already had some listed. I don't know the Everett US or Evergreen at all (although I've heard good things about the latter, which is a fairly new shop). I use NW Sports Divers in Lynnwood. They have a particularly nice program for the frequent diver, in that you can buy a yearly membership that covers all your fills for the entire year (plus giving you a small discount on purchases, as well). They have two levels of membership, one for air, and one for Nitrox. If you dive a lot, it's a really good deal!

What kind of diving...shore/boat? We have lots of both. As I mentioned, there are two good shore diving spots in Mukilteo, and there is the Edmonds Underwater Park, which is a marine preserve with HUGE ling cod and cabezons. If you pick up the Northwest Shore Dives book, you'll get a lot more information about shore diving locations, with the most important thing of all: how current intensive the site is, and how to calculate slack for that site. Tides and currents have enormous importance for Puget Sound divers. A site can be wonderful if the time is chosen properly, when doing it at the wrong time can range between inconvenient and annoying, and downright dangerous.

We have a number of charter operators (not as many as we used to :( ) but most of them run either out of the Tacoma area (Bandito Charters) or out of Anacortes or the San Juans. There are a couple of boats running in the mid-sound. Many of their dates are booked by clubs or shops, and you arrange to get on the boat by booking through them, rather than the boat itself. There is a LOT of diving available to someone with his own boat. The Northwest Boat Dives book is back in print, and another very good reference is Scott Boyd's Northwest Wreck Dives.

Water temp? It runs in the mid 50's in summer, and the mid to upper 40's in winter. Visibility ranges from downright awful (I had a couple of dives last summer with, I swear, about two feet of viz) to occasionally amazing, but averages between 10 and 20 feet.

Exposure protection is really, really important here, if you want to enjoy your diving. The vast majority of people go very quickly to dry suits, especially for winter diving. It isn't just the water temperature -- it's getting out of 47 degree water into 42 degree air that gets you!

When you're here and established and ready to go diving, feel free to shoot me a PM. The MMM group would be much better to show you those sites than I would be, but I'd be happy to meet up and show you around Edmonds, a site I know pretty well.

Some good advice above. I have had a good experience with Everegreen Dive which is the only one left in town since UW Sports and Smokey Point closed. I am retired so I can dive during the week. Send me a PM if you want to arrange a dive.

Hi:

I live in Everett and dive locally fairly regularly. Mukilteo is about 10 minutes. Evergreen Dive Service has regular dives, as does Northwest Divers. A much better dive location is the Edmonds Underwater Park. There is no longer an Underwater Sports in Everett: Edmonds is the closest branch.

There is some spectacular diving a short ferry drive away on the south end of Whidbey Island: the Fingers at Whidbey Island State Park. You need to watch currents at many dive spots, as we have tidal exchanges unlike anything you see in Hawaii except in Tsunami or major storm conditions.

June is one of the worst times to dive in the PNW, as there are plankton blumes, and marine life goes wild. Viz usually gets better around mid-July. This is a great area for photography. Feel free to get in touch when you get here, and we can take you out for some fun diving.

Cheers,

Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom