Moving to Key Largo, shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

psiborg1812

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone, I am moving from Texas to Key Largo to start a job as staff at a resort, and am looking to find some good shore dives as part of my days off. Is it possible to kayak to dive sites or take small boats? Thanks for the responses in advance, I'm excited to try and find island life!

No shore diving really in the keys. Have to take a boat to get to the reefs.

Actually I seem to remember NetDoc posting on another thread that there are "a few" spots throughout the Keys, where you can shore dive. Not sure where they are, though.

Actually I seem to remember NetDoc posting on another thread that there are "a few" spots throughout the Keys, where you can shore dive. Not sure where they are, though.

NetDoc will have to weigh in on this, but I recall that post as welll. I think one location was the Pennekamp lagoon: NetDoc's description made it seem like it was not very nice to me. I think another option is Jules Lagoon, but I believe that is mostly used for training; you'll have to check if it is free or if there is a fee (or if it can be dove outside of a training schedule: I know Tigertail Lake in Ft Lauderdale can only be dove with an instructor). There are some quarries that folks talked about diving down near Big Pine key, but again, descriptions made them seem dark, cold and not much fun. Another SB member posted some videos of Bahia Honda and the fish life looked nice, but the site is really really shallow and more for snorkeling.

By in large, most of the folks I've talked to would tell you that there is no shore diving in the Keys. That's probaby not technically correct, but it seems like there is no decent or reasonable shore diving in the Keys. If you want to continue your research, here's a couple of links.............

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...oon-big-pine-key-really-decent-dive-site.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/411019-shore-diving-around-key-largo.html

Cannon beach at pennekamp has a depth of maybe 15' or so off to the left side and you can play there... it's really a snorkel spot with a lot of kids... I went there with the wife and had fun.... Jules lagoon is not bad to play around in... But the students can turn it in to a can of pea soup really fast..

I would check with who is doing charters on the canal your on... You maybe able to get a deal by sending hotel guests their way...

Jim...

My sister lives in KL and comes up to Blue Heron Bridge for a shore dive with us now and then! It's about 130 miles north..............Jules Lodge can be interesting, but it may cost as much as a boat trip and the Pennekamp pit is ok--lots of Tarpon and lobsters. There is much better shore diving north of KL in Broward and Palm Beach Counties and then the springs in central and north Florida.

The short answer is no.

The longer answer is that anywhere on planet earth where there is water, you certainly can "shore dive". It doesn't mean you'll see anything.

I've been visiting or living in the Keys for a few decades, and I've "shore dived" because it was hot and I wanted to get wet and get some swimming exercise. However, there is little to see.

I had a place at MM103.5 for a few years and used to ride my bike down to Pennekamp in the afternoons for a fitness snorkel. Didn't see much but had fun anyway...approached by manatees! If you get in 1-2' of water around the mangroves, the macro life is quite fascinating.

Still...the "shore diving" in the Keys gets old fast.

Yes, you can take a small boat out to the shallow reefs but be careful, check the weather.

I'm envious that you got a job and are moving down there, if I could get a nice gig with housing, I'd be down there in a minute myself!

Enjoy!

I have been trying to find answers to this exact question for years and find it incredibly frustrating that there are no answers. From what I gather (and having snorkeled and dove in the keys) there is no shore diving but there is tons of shore diving to be done. Problem is that on gulf side it is nice and quiet but all you will see are sea weeds and on the ocean side it is really shallow then there are tons of boats then it gets deep but it is at least 1 mile off shore.

I am very seriously contemplating bringing my kayak and going to key largo this long weekend. I would not mind paddling somewhere where I could find some fish. I need to find anything because I have a snuba setup and my family enjoys it so anything close to shore with more than 1 fish would be awesome. I have been looking all over but can't find (even on fish and wildlife mapping websites)... all "reef reefs" are off shore and those guys do not track anything less than several hundred feet in length.

I know for a fact that there is tons of fish out next to the shore. Every time I snorkeled I always saw a bunch, even while kayaking at pennecamp lagoon/mangroves.

If anyone can recommend a patch of coral with SOME fish that is within several hundred feet off shore around Key Largo-Tavernier area (preferably on gulf side or somewhere quiet with little or no waves on ocean side).

I have been looking at maps and photos and videos and there is no information to be found. Waaaaa.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am thinking of visiting key largo 24th-25th-27th ish.

I love diving there... just looking for some cool opportunities to snuba close to shore.

Cannon beach.. Left side... Nice little drop off and fish on the coral wall... If you stay under you can follow the wall to the right and then back track and you come out at the cannon's.. Bottom is a little muddy as it's a cove... The wife and I went there and had a ball just playing around.... Try it... I think you and the family will have a good time....

Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom