Moving to Key Largo, shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cannon beach is a must dive... especially if you live here. Lot's of cool critters and we've had dolphins come in and play with our students in the past.

But all the great dives are three plus miles out. If' you're a really, really (snicker) strong swimmer go ahead and knock yourself out! Just be careful of Capt Morgan and Ensign Budweiser if you do so.

I did the shore snorkeling at John Pennekamp last weekend between boat dives. I saw about 10 parrotfish there, 5 or 6 lobsters. Both of those were on a ledge where the reef drops off into the boat channel. Closer to the mangroves there were lots of tiny tropical fish, and I saw a couple small barracuda.. maybe 6-8 inches. We stayed for about two hours before deciding to get out of the water.

We left the flag in the car so we didn't go outside the marked swimming area. The google map makes it look like there's a whole lot more reef outside that swimming area.

It's 8 bucks to get into the park, and they have a boat that will run you on a small snorkeling trip for 30 bucks. Website says they take you to that Jesus statue. If I'd known that I'd have paid the 30 bucks.

Canon beach is in pennekamp.

Where is Canon Beach? Do you mean the beach at Pennekamp?
Yeah, the one with all the canons on the shore and in the water. It's why we call it canon beach. :D :D :D

We saw a pretty good sized nurse shark under one of the ledges just off the beach there.
I have seen nurse sharks, huge permit, a nice sized cuda, manatee, dolphin, dozens of bugs, flat worms, lots of juveniles and a number of great southern rays. If you are extremely lucky, you might even get a glimpse of the shy and elusive Sergeant Major, just don't hold your breath. Add in the crabs, the shrimps and some patch coral and it's a pretty busy site. Too bad it's not prettier. Lot's of fish poo in the center and the non scuba visitors really like to churn that stuff up while losing their various accouterments. So far I have collected two pairs of nice sunglasses, a wallet, one set of keys, a few snorkels, a couple of toys and even a bikini top!

YES...I your looking at cannon beach... /maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=25.125655,-80.403965&spn=0.002062,0.003484&t=h&z=19 The beach has the parking lot with the grass between the parking spots.... You'll see that the drop off is on the right hand side of the beach and goes out in a rectangular shape... The cannons underwater are right were the drop off ends to the left side.... And tank rentals on site...

Jim...

Here's one I just discovered. The North tip of Pigeon Key, on the bayside in Tavernier.

The water is very shallow, only 3-4 ', so it's a snorkel spot, not a dive site. It's about 1 mile from shore, so you'll need to paddle to get there. Much of the area is private property, but you could possibly launch from the Wild Bird Center, especially if you give them a nice donation...or since you live here, maybe volunteer some time there.

There's a small wreck about 50 yards from the island with some fish life and a few decent sized bugs. Pigeon Key itself has tons of of life. Even saw a pretty good sized cuda and a 3-1/2ish foot nurse shark...all in a matter of just a few minutes that I spent there.

Post Card Inn - Islamorada

Right off the beach, just to the South of the pool it drops down to 25'. It's a sandy bottom and not the greatest vis, but the sides are rocky with some coral growth, and there's a decent amount of life. Some cuda, some small rays, a hug tarpon, etc. Not a bad mini wall dive.

Depending on when you go, PCI sometimes charges a cover to get on the beach, especially holiday weekends.

The hole extends South to just past where the waverunner and boat rentals are, so I'd recommend doing this as a night dive, when there's no traffic.

You probably don't even need to use a flag, since as you can see from this sat map, the deep water is all within the roped off swim and jetski area. The only thing you risk getting hit by is a paddleboard if they're doing a night tour...and they have more lights on them than Close Encounters.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Post...+Isle,&hnear=Islamorada,+Monroe,+Florida&z=19

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom