MR12 Rebuild Issue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nick_R

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Here is a photo I have taken of the bore inside an MR12DFC 1st stage, I have circled the trouble spots in the photo, what I'm wondering is if this is common, it looks to me that they are wear marks from the HP Chamber, its kinda hard to take photos down inside that bore, did the best I could....Also this one has no poppet seat, just the valve which is listed as part number 9 on exploded view, part number 75 which is the 1st stage poppet seat is not on this drawing, just the MR12 LONG....Im not a tech, just trying my hand at figuring out how things work and rebuild my own 1st stage :)

Attachments

• DSCN0058.JPG
    DSCN0058.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 315
Don't worry about the sides....it's the volcano in the middle that makes the seal with the seat....and that looks fine from here.
btw if you have problems sourcing Mares parts (for your own personal reg) the blue AquaLung seat and balance chamber o ring will work fine in place of the Mares parts.

I havent seen a new one apart, so to me as a machinist seeing something like that stands out like a sore thumb...Im also wondering why one drawing lists the poppet seat but the other dont, this one didnt have the poppet seat in there, just the valve.

was the poppet seat added in later to the same design as an extra means of safety?

Here's what should be in that part of the 1st stage (in order going down).
Circlip
Sintered filter
Balance chamber (with small o ring and teflon washer inside)
Spring
HP Seat
Pin

here are the 2 exploded views in question about the valve and poppet seat variances, one shows it the other doesnt???

Attachments

• Mares_Repair_Manual_200100025im.jpg
    Mares_Repair_Manual_200100025im.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 594
  • Mares_Repair_Manual_200100027im.jpg
    Mares_Repair_Manual_200100027im.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 298
Some MR12's had a removable volcano (parts 74 and 75).....yours doesn't.

looks to me like a teflon coating on top of the valve(9)

9 46185002 MR 12 first stage valve

it looks fine as does the seat surface on the 1st stage body for the version with the replaceable seat the drawing lists a different valve(9)

9 46200276 Pebax 1st Stage poppet

would this be a better replacement? although I think the one thats in it looks good with hardly any marks on the seat surface

The parts to replace are HP Seat#9 and o ring #2.
The circlip #2 and sintered filter #22 should be inspected and (usually) replaced.

9 is listed as not coming in the annual service kit, so has to be bought seperate all the rest are showing in the kit, except for the diaphram and no more than what that costs might as well replace it too

Back
Top Bottom