MR12 Rebuild Issue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You'll need an IP gauge to determine if the seat "needs" to be replaced.....does the IP lock-up with no creep.
The newer tri material Mares seats are a huge improvement over their predecessor.....it's the reason I switched to the superior AquaLung seat.....it's also about 1/4 the price of the Mares seat.

The reason the HP seat doesn't come with the annual kit it because it is usually replaced every other service.

yeah, the price I got on the HP poppet was around 20.00 annual service kits around 14.00 and diaphram around 4.00 or so

I figured this would be an easy 1st stage for me to do myself and learn on, I picked up several MR12/Voltrex with gauges and octo sets for 30.00 each, so I have hardly nothing in them and they are all in good condition, didnt figure I could go wrong with them, now I have plenty for the whole family :)

I appreciate you taking the time to explain things a bit to me :)

Would you like to sell me a Voltrex second stage? I just like them for some reason.

what silicone oil substitutions/alternatives can be used in the cold water kits?

Silicone spray (accumulated in a container), ATF, mineral oil.....I don't think it really matters. Just remember to fill with the reg pressurized and get the air bubbles out.
How cold do you want to go?
The MR111/Voltrex is an all metal 2nd and the 12 is a diaphragm and unmodified should be good down to the mid 40's.

I may not dive in water that cold, but you never know? I have 2 of the cold water kits, so I figured I may as well install them instead of letting them sit around in a box :)

Nick,

I ice dive with unsealed first stages, as do my dive buddies. In fact, my ice diving instructor uses two, unsealed Mares V16 first stages. He has yet to have a malfunction due to ice formation on a first stage.

I've serviced many Mares regs over the years, and can tell you from first hand experience, that the silicone oil system makes a big mess. There is a very good reason why Mares went to a dry sealed system.

My suggestion is to put the cold water kits on eBay...

Greg Barlow

P1011090.jpg

Nick,

My suggestion is to put the cold water kits on eBay...

Greg Barlow

I may just sell the cold water kits then...

Nice photo, must be nice diving dry, I was hoping to have a nice drysuit by this winter, but I got laid off in that last batch of 140 at Cincinnati Milacron, not much I can do about that, so the drysuit will have to wait until a later date :)

Back
Top Bottom