Mr32t

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ciocanul

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anybody know why the MR32T first stage is no longer in the Mares product list? And which first stage should be it's successor?

Since it went on a "diet", the new 22 is about the same size as the old 32 - the 42 is smaller/lighter. The "new" 22 uses the same parts as the old 22 and 32. Hope that helps.

So, basicly, the new 22 will be better than the old 22, but not quite as good as the now gone 32.
On the other hand, the specs for the 32 says it has an inhaling pressure of 6bars while the 42 has an inhaling pressure of 7,2bars. Doesn't this make the 32 a better reg then the 42 in terms of breathing comfort?
I've just bought the Prestige 32ntt at a very good price from my lds, so i'm trying to find out why they pulled out a good product.

Actually the old 22 was a great breather, as is the new. The new 22 is a result of removing unneeded metal to make a lighter reg (and I'm sure reducing costs, since the price of brass went sky-high).

I have owned 22's, 32's and 42's and they all breathe great - I really don't think the 1st stage had much to do with how well a reg breathes. My wife had a 32 with a plastic proton 2nd and now dives a 42 with a proton metal 2nd and says the 42 breathes better. I can't tell the difference with mine, since I use the same Abyss 2nd (because I like the wider exhaust T). I have the cracking pressure adjusted the same on all my 2nd stages (1.1-1.2 inches of water) - I really can't tell the difference between my Abyss or Proton Metal 2nd's. Admittedly, I could tell the difference between the plastic 2nds and the metals - the metals breathing better.

I think Mares just felt they had too many regs so they eliminated the V16 and the 32 - in fact I think Zak or Phil indicated this in another thread.

No matter which you have, I don't think you will be disappointed or that you would even be able to tell the difference in a blind test.

Dive Safely

Greetings. TN Traveler is correct in that Mares has decided to use a fewer number of first stages for their regs.

So, basicly, the new 22 will be better than the old 22, but not quite as good as the now gone 32.
On the other hand, the specs for the 32 says it has an inhaling pressure of 6bars while the 42 has an inhaling pressure of 7,2bars. Doesn't this make the 32 a better reg then the 42 in terms of breathing comfort?
I've just bought the Prestige 32ntt at a very good price from my lds, so i'm trying to find out why they pulled out a good product.

To address your above statements: The inhalation effort difference of 6bars as compared to 7.2 is not of much significance, as variation among examples of the same design can have that much. The MR32 is an excellent first stage. It basically is an original MR22 that had a significant amount of brass removed from non-critical areas. The new 22 and 42 designs are of the same nature with even more metal removed. The 22/32 regs use the same internal parts as that of the original MR22 design. The V/MR42 series uses completely different internal parts. For example, the HP poppet valves are not interchangeable between the regs. The same HP poppet fits the 12/16/22/32, but a different one is used for the 42.

Rest assured, you have purchased an excellent product. Service parts will never be an issue as the same annual kits are labeled for all the above mentioned models.

From an economic and marketing sense, it is a good idea to have fewer first stages. When you consider that their performance levels are all comparable, it makes the point even more logical.

While a breathing simulator can measure changes in effort as low as 0.1j/l, a human can't tell until the difference is around 0.4j/l.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

Thank you for making it clear. This time i made a good choice - i hope i'll reemember to check the board next time BEFORE I buy something.

Greg and TN Traveler are correct.

In order to simplify the line we dropped the 32 as the new 22 is very similar. We now have the 42, 22 & 12s. It is simply a matter of making the line easier. There is nothing wrong with the 32, all parts will be available as they are shared. Also, just because we stop putting the 32 into new configurations, we will be selling them for some time as we still have them and dealers still have them.

Hope this helps,

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom