MRTdiver's Dive Light Give Away

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MRTdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm going to build a dive light from an Ultrafire W200 type host and give it to someone here. If you're interested you can see my flashlight build (here on BudgetLightForum)

Winner will be randomly selected Friday 21 Feb.

Requirements...

1. All you have to do is make ONE post in this thread. Please only one post, because the winner will be randomly selected based on their post number using one of the random number selectors online.

2. Be a diver. I would prefer it if you are a 4 season diver so that you could use and test it right away. Moderators are welcome too, as long as they don't dive from their armchair :wink:

3. All non US countries like Canada, etc. will have to pay Shipping Fees if they want the light. I'll PM my PayPal acct. info. with the shipping cost if this happens.

The winner can choose from the following options:

1. LED choice:

Cree XM-L2 - this is Cree's 2nd generation of the XM-L. The highest bin XM-L2 puts out around 1100 lumen (lm).

Cree XP-G2 - ~500+lm. This has about half the luminous flux (output) of the XM-L, but throws really well because of its high surface brightness. For murky waters this is ideal. :laser:

There are other options (XP-E2, Nichia, etc.) - but lumen output will drop.

2. De-dome option: This will give the light better throw, but may have some greenish tint in the beam. And some overall lumens will be lost. The XM-L emitter is the best option for de-doming.

3. Number of modes: either 1 or 2 modes (Hi/Low). It's a twisty light - twist the head to turn it on or switch modes.

4. Battery Option (what do you want it to run on?). each uses a different driver to run the LED -

(3) AA Alkaline / Lithium primaries (e.g. Energizer Ultimate Lithium).
or
(2) 14500 Li-ion - these have to be button top cell and can't be too wide - this is a rechargeable battery about AA size and will need a Li-ion Charger.

5. Current (amps) Option:
I'll expect to be driving the LED either near or over its recommended max current. This is not going to be your weakest dive light. Don't use it as a surface light.

I'll PM the winner to figure out what options they want.

Q & A time...

Why am I doing this? Because I can.

Do I want a Review from you if you win? No. But it would be nice to hear your initial impressions good
thumbsup.gif
or bad
thumbsdown.gif
In other words... I'm not asking for anything.

How long will it take to receive the light? I probably will have to order parts. So maybe 4 weeks, from getting the parts, building the light to spec., then shipping it out.

Does it have a warranty/guarantee? If something should happen internally with the light I will fix it if you send it back to me, on the condition that I'm still in the states. But it may be a different variation of LED & driver.

Can you make it a video light? No

Will it run on rechargeable Ni-MH batteries? Yes the 3 x AA version can, but the run time isn't as long IIRC. If you really don't like buying primary cells (Alkaline etc.) I highly recommend rechargeable Li-ion. There are also many good dive lights that run on the larger 18650 & 26650 Li-ion cells.

Will you ship it to me with batteries? No. If you choose the rechargeable Li-ion variation I can advise where to buy batteries and a Charger.

How should I care for the light? Like any other dive light... periodically grease the o-rings with silicone grease.

UF W200 give away.jpg
help me clean this up :shower:

Last edited:
Hey I guess I am the first to say I am in. I would love to test your light in the dark green water of Alaska
Herb

Hey, mate. How's it going? We dove RBD together over at Waynesville, remember? Can you believe the OCDA has explored several thousand ft of new cave? I did some short range support diving on a couple of the projects.
I also got a scooter and made a couple of dives to and past the 2nd drop off to about 2300 ft. p.
Good to see you here. How's your new neck of the woods? Got any local caves or are you making lots of trips down to cave country?
Jim

Hello all,, Heading to the Caymans for the XX time in about 6-7 weeks.. I would like to try out the light.. Thanks, Golfer

Sounds like a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom