Mt. Everest of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Helium is pretty expensive (as I'm sure you all know...) So balloon grade helium has just enough helium to make it lighter than air, so the balloon goes up, and stays up for a while... I'm sure that the balloon companies aren't putting more expensive He in those mylar balloons at the supermarket than they have to. :)

I'm sure you've seen helium balloons deflate a little and then sink back to the ground, if what was in them was still He, (or He and O2) it would still be lighter than the ambient air even with the lesser volume.

That's not to say that balloons have heliox in them, they just add some He to air, then it's lighter than the ambient air when it's in a balloon. (so, technicaly, it's trimix :wink: )

Warren,
If you notice on the web page you posted. "Pure helium not cheap balloon gas others may sell". I think one thing that may be confusing is the term "passageway" maybe I should have said "passage of oxygen".
Ken

Waterlover,

Perhaps -- but the composition of balloon gas is still only a secondary topic.

So you claim that there is some mechanism by which the body maintains a tenuous grasp on its ability to exchange oxygen -- and if the lung volume is ever, at any time, completely depleted of oxygen, the lung's ability to exchange oxygen is forever lost, and cannot be regained?

- Warren

Warren
Next time you rent Helium to fill balloons take your O2 anylizer and check it.

the rental companies lie because the less He the less time the baloons stay afloat. those in the party business always ask what the O2 content is.

I beleive it is a law that all rental He tanks contain at least 16% O2 I don't know what the top end is.

so like I say just check for yourself with your anyliser I did and found 18%

also the highr the O2 content the less expensive the cost to the rental company.

when they reciev your half used He tank back they top off with He until the tank equalizes then top off with AIR. this is the rip off of balloon rental companies

thats why some balloons float high and long and some at birthday parties etc are on the ground before the end of the party

Originally posted by AquaTec

so like I say just check for yourself with your anyliser I did and found 18%
swhy Uncle buys HP Helium that comes with a nice little blue shrink wrap over the valve... :wink:

HAVEN'T SEEN THE SHRINK RAP

Mind you I was at a party this last weekend and a girl was there with shrink wrap as a top.

and another was there with just body paint as a top

but thats off subject

So aqua which one did you end up with?

Hey Aqua

Can I go to the next party with you? Maybe we can impress them with everything we learned on here about the O2 content in Helium party balloons. :eek:ut:

Ty

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom