Mt. Everest of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aqua,

Ah yes! You just brought back those fond memories of my time in Canada. Thanks. It's good to see that party outfits always stay in style.

A question: for those going to the Marianas Trench - are you going to be artifact hunting or spear-fishing. Just wanted to know.

Robert:doctor:

Ahh Natasha
I can never kiss and tell, but lets just say i didn't have to use paint remover.

I love ski town chics

If we brought a couple of entrenching tools we could dig a hole 2 feet deep and ...(just my five minutes:tease: :drummer: :maniac: :boom: worth of nuts)

My mentor in wreck diving was one of the first to dive the Lusitannia. It's one of those things that I would love to get on, but only time will tell. It would be cool to dive some of the subs in the Bering Sea if she would ever calm down for like 10 minutes.

Originally posted by jetblast00
[
I'm sure you've seen helium balloons deflate a little and then sink back to the ground, if what was in them was still He, (or He and O2) it would still be lighter than the ambient air even with the lesser volume.

Actually what is left inside is still He. A balloon floats due to the archimedes principle which states that a body immersed in a fluid is buoyed up by a force equal to the weight of the displaced fluid. The principle applies to both floating and submerged bodies and to all fluids, i.e., liquids and gases. It explains not only the buoyancy of ships and other vessels in water but also the rise of a balloon in the air and the apparent loss of weight of objects underwater. If you use the gas law M=PVM/RT a10 inch balloon that weighs 1 gram containing .178 grams of He weighs 1.178 grams and displaces 1.29 grams of air giving you only .112 grams of lift. So once it has lost some of the He it will be negatively buoyant. These calculations are based on pure He so a balloon with less than pure He would weigh even more and have even less lift.

My answer to the original question has to be .........Edmund Fitzgerald.......

Lusitania is close, Britannic is close but Lusitania's history puts her ahead in my mind. The "Big Fitz" though is a different game in my opinion.

Tom

I've always been 'taken' by her also. And I love the song. But in 530 feet of cold water, I doubt I'll ever do more then watch the video.

If she's the one you want, NEVER give up.Billy Deans did her, others can too. NEVER say die, or you might as well...........

I'll do her someday. You can too.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom