Mt. Storm conditions 11/8/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Harry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Water temp about 70 degress

Viz on the 25-foot platforms: about 6 feet

Viz at the 50-foot platform: about 3 feet

Viz at the 85-foot platform: about 1 foot

Was at Storm today for a quick dive. The viz at bottom was still poor, kind of a lot of suspension in the water. At the 90 the silt on the platform looked to be 2-3 inches. The temp at depth, 95 ft was 64 degrees. On the surface it was 33 degrees and yes sports fans it SNOWED.

Hey CB soesn't have to be, just wait for the first snow---well maybe the second and it should clear up--might be cold though. After Hawii I guess it would be difficult. The real world is a tuff place to be---lol. I am envious of the trip

Being miserable kind of takes the fun out of it.....
Someday we'll have to tell you about our "near death" dive experiences. Actually....I only had one and Michael had two.....

Hey Jim, I may be taking a trip down there somewhere between the friday and monday after thanksgiving as well.

If anyone else gets a chance to check it out before now and thanksgiving, keep me posted on the vis/temp conditions--its a 3.25hr drive for us so I want to make sure it's worth the drive.

I'm not sure what to expect as I've never been there before.

Mt. Storm conditions 11/14/09

Water temp 68 degress

Viz at 100 feet: about 1 foot

It gets totally dark at about 50 feet.

There was fairly strong current on the platforms, running north to south. It was so strong that I was not able to back-kick against the current for very long.

The deeper you go, the worse the visibility. There seems to be a lot of stuff suspended in the water, especially down deep. At around 75 feet it looks like someone had been swimming around the bottom, stirring everything up. And we were no where near the platforms.

It's getting chilly up there, with a stiff wind it gets cold in the parking lot. Winter is approaching...

The number of divers in the parking lot on weekends is also slowly dropping. This past Sunday there were only 4 cars, and it was sunny and not too cold.

my-brain-hurts.jpg

Hope that helps.....

Last edited:
Mt. Storm conditions Sunday 11/22/09

Surface:
Overcast, high of 52 degrees, so windy that felt like it was about 35 degrees. Hands went numb while setting up gear. The lake was "steaming" it was so cold. Recommend a heavy jackey, gloves and a wool hat. Something windproof.

Water:
Surface water temp 66 degrees
Pronounced thermocline at 30-37 feet (varied by location)
Temp below thermocline 64 degrees down to 60 feet

It is still totally dark at 50 feet.

We had an interesting time this weekend. Someone extended a new line along the dam, it goes quite a ways and wanders up and down from 25 to 40 feet in depth.

We were doing drills at the platforms. Both were empty, so we went to the northern platform where the visibility was fairly good (>6 feet) and started our drills there (not kneeling on the platform, hovering above it). A couple of divers showed up. They literally plowed over my buddy, kicked him in the head, pushed us out of the way, took over the platform and kicked up so much silt that the visibility dropped to about 4 feet. Who ever you were, especially the one in pink, thanks! Are parents not teaching manners anymore? They were having a massive "Thrash Fest" so we left and went to the other platform.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom