Mt. Storm or Lake Rawlings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

McCainiac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I've done almost 20 dives this year, but none local. Should I visit Mt. Storm or Rawlings first? They both have pros and cons and I've NEVER been to either so looking for a bit of feedback.

I've done almost 20 dives this year, but none local. Should I visit Mt. Storm or Rawlings first? They both have pros and cons and I've NEVER been to either so looking for a bit of feedback.

Ive heard lake rawlings has a very very unfriendly person that works there. Search is on google and read the reviews. Mt storm seems very cool though, since it is so warm year round. Ive never been to either, either, but I would go to storm before rawlings.

Ive heard lake rawlings has a very very unfriendly person that works there. Search is on google and read the reviews. Mt storm seems very cool though, since it is so warm year round. Ive never been to either, either, but I would go to storm before rawlings.

One of the pros with Storm is no "staff" at all. :D

I found this that goes along with what you said, but is 2 years old.....

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mi...rs/249779-lake-rawlings-customer-service.html

I also found this which is from this month saying different things.....

Lake Rawlings, fist time.. | DiveBuddy.com

I have not been to either one yet. But plan to go to Mt. Storm the wamer waters sounds very nice. Also there is a "Mobile" dive shop called scubaventures that is up there certain weekends and has a fill station with him for Air fills, and has equipment and all the things. here is a link to his website.

Scubaventures2

I've been to Rawlings a couple of days & have not had any bad experiences with anyone. Rawlings has a lot of toys ( airplane, busses, etc) which I like. I don't know about Mt Storm - never been there.

Remember that Rawlings is a quarry, which = COLD.

Rawlings is a great place to dive. Great visibility 25+ plus things to do and see. If you go to Mt. Storm it may be a little warmer, but the visibility is not as good 10 feet at the most. Also there is not a lot to see at Storm except Fish and platforms, but it is a close place to dive. Both are nice to dive in there own way.

Cell phones work @ Mt. Storm?

Has anyone seen good reviews of anything on Google?

I noticed that several of the "bad" Google reviews seem to be phrased very similarly and may be one person under different names.

The staff at Lake Rawlings has always been great to me, but then I don't wait till they are trying to register several groups at the counter to ask if I can get Nitrox when I left my card at home.

I have not been to Mt. Storm, but there a lot of toys at Rawlings and the web site has a PDF that shows bearings and distances between the platforms that is great for navigation proctice (http://www.lakerawlings.com/Downloads/LakeRawlingsNavigationExercise.pdf). My dive bride and I are going up for Memorial day weekend.

As Dstrout says "Cold" or can be. Rawlings is almost two sites. The original quarry has a ledge at 30 feet around the whole west side and then a drop off to teh "deep" area. There is a real thermocline.

Nice bathouse at Rawlings, bring quarters (pay showers).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom