Munson Shore Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cameron:
But its great that neil can do the dive within NDL and in half the gear . Only take what you need.

Cam

Half the gear? Three stages and swimming vs 1 stage and scootering. 211mins vs 120mins. Hmmm.

Maybe not... that is a bit of gear to swim...LOL

I would probably do it with a scoot for sure, while probably towing one as well.... the point is that there are many ways to accomplish a dive and alot of people around our area seem to think that they have the monopoly on safe diving practices.

Your right, there are probably ideal ways to approach this dive. Team of three, scooters, all that crap. But alot of us, for what ever reason, still accomplish these dives in a safe manner.

I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone from any agency agree that this dive was accomplished in a safe manner. Sure it can be done differently than what we do and still be safe, I won't argue that, but I don't think this qualifies. The whole point was that this is not a simple "recreational" undertaking. Thats a fair distance to swim, a lot of gear to drag along, and no one to help you if you get into trouble. Had he not found the line which we thought had rotted away, how much longer would it have take for him to locate the wreck.

Yeah it's too bad I saw the string and didn't have to work the GPS more, it would have been a good learning experience. I'm not sure how long it would have taken.

Other than solo (which most would agree is less safe than buddy diving) why would you say this dive is unsafe?

I think you just dont want divers to be able to go there for free and take artifacts home. That's why I won't post directions to my favorite wrecks like the Daryaw, just the ones near NTD, since I don't care as much about those.:popcorn:

Next weekend I'll get to see if the GPS works well for finding the Wolfe Islander. I don't know what the DSS is, but if its more crap like the Munson, I won't bother. LOL

jjones9527:
I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone from any agency agree that this dive was accomplished in a safe manner. Sure it can be done differently than what we do and still be safe, I won't argue that, but I don't think this qualifies. The whole point was that this is not a simple "recreational" undertaking. Thats a fair distance to swim, a lot of gear to drag along, and no one to help you if you get into trouble. Had he not found the line which we thought had rotted away, how much longer would it have take for him to locate the wreck.

I would say the dive isn't safe because of the amount of gas needed to be carried while swimming that distance and that amount of time. Even swimming it as a team I wouldn't call safe. The extra effort required just isn't worth it to me (possible CO2 buildup from exertion, hypothermia from long exposures, the swim back in an emergency). I'd think an RB would be out of the question as well without a scooter because of the amount of bail out that would be required in case of emergency.

What is really starting to concern me is your new found interest in artifacts. You've mentioned goodie bags, wreck dives and artifacts a few time through out various threads now. Perhaps they're unrelated or you're just stirring the pot more, I don't know. But I really hope you're not a wreck stripper now as well.

But it takes you 60 minutes to get back on the scooter. If that's safe, and it only takes me 20 minutes to swim to shore, then by definition my dive is just as safe.

Exposure protection in the summer? If anything I was getting warm.

jjones9527:
The extra effort required just isn't worth it to me (possible CO2 buildup from exertion, hypothermia from long exposures [...] I wouldn't call safe.

Lol, it was 90 minutes taking it easy, i wasn't the least bit tired, and I'm WAY out of shape.

I hope you're not a wreck stripper now

And I hope you don't commit horrible crimes either. Are you accusing me of something?

Hey Neil, congratulations! Sounds pretty cool. Its way beyond what I would do but you did it. Great!

I was on the Munson today, but I was lazy and paid for a boat to take me out. LOL

Please keep us posted of your ongoing exploits, very entertaining and informative reading.

smoritz0370:
Hey Neil, congratulations! Sounds pretty cool. Its way beyond what I would do but you did it. Great!

I was on the Munson today, but I was lazy and paid for a boat to take me out. LOL

Please keep us posted of your ongoing exploits, very entertaining and informative reading.

And I will

Back
Top Bottom