Music to accompany underwater video??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mdsquared

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

Just came back from a diving expedition - the first one since trying out underwater Videography... A wonderful experience indeed!

I've posted video on Youtube...

YouTube - Impressions - Sodwana 2008

My query is in regards with the choice of music for posting video online.
I notice that many people simply use tracks from popular artists, which is great,
however is it legal to post video with copyrighted music as soundtrack on youtube et al?

I've decided for the first video to make a quick soundtrack with Garageband (Apple inc) - but for future attempts I would like to add other music as well...

So, my question: Where can I source good background music for underwater video that I can legally use to upload to sites like youtube?

Are there any websites where you could buy music legally to use with my productions?

Thank you, these look like excellent sites...

Try digital Juice! They have creation program called "The Juicer" that allows you to create and modify your music and it is real easy! They sell what they call "Stack Tracks" It is well worth the investment!

Just do a google search for "royalty free". There are quite a few really good artists who enjoy putting their stuff out there at no charge.

Just do a google search for "royalty free". There are quite a few really good artists who enjoy putting their stuff out there at no charge.

Could you name a few or list particular websites?

I just recently made my first dive video after a trip to Cayman Brac and I used some of the music by Sting from "The Living Sea" soundtrack. Naturally it goes well with UW video since that's pretty much what it was designed for.

Did I try to get permission to use it? Nope. But I did buy the music. My video was only made for my family and friends who went on the trip and I don't intend to post it on YouTube or anything like that. For me, it's just fun to look back at the trip from time to time.

So check out that particular album as well as others like it. Oh yes. I also used some smooth jazz by Najee which was very good.

BDSC

BDSC
You do realize that using any music that you have not purchased as royalty free or without expressed written consent is a no no? Sure, sticking on Stings music for a film for your friends is one thing, however, to use that same piece of music and enter your film in a competition or film exhibition is not the right thing to do. Editing is very time consuming so why bother to use music that you do not have the rights to. Should you want to enter a video competition you would have to recut the entire project.
I own more royalty free music than I will ever use but I do find that Sonic Fire Pro is the easiest and most flexible program out there. Of course, you do need to own a few of their discs but, in time, all music libraries grow.
Steve:14:

www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

Like you said, making a video for my friends is one thing. And that's just what I stated I did. So I guess we agree that it's no big deal the way I am doing it.

BDSC

Back
Top Bottom